5S iphone with 8.3 iOS not connecting to Bluetooth OBDII

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Scargo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

5S iphone with 8.3 iOS not connecting to Bluetooth OBDII

Post by Scargo »

I'm new to this. Just purchased Lap Timer Grand Prix which I will use with a GoPro3 Black.
I have a two year old Bluetooth OBDII: Mini ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 OBD-II CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Scanner Tool.
I have not been able to get my iphone to recognize it. My laptop immediately recognized it. On the internet I see that others are having an issue with the 8.3 OS update and Bluetooth connections. However, my phone connects with and works in my two cars for hands-free phone service.
Any suggestions or workarounds? Was hoping not to have to buy a new Wi-Fi OBDII tool.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 5S iphone with 8.3 iOS not connecting to Bluetooth OBDII

Post by Harry »

Any Bluetooth device connecting to an iPhone needs to either use a audio profile (like hands free telephony), or needs to be certified by Apple. Most GPS and OBD Bluetooth adapters are not certified and will not connect to your iPhone. Compatible GPS and OBD devices are listed here: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Scargo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Scargo »

OK, I'll buy that. Thanks.
Looking at the list I am confused about which way to go. Wi-fi solution is $120. GoPoint Technology 9105 BT1 is $100. One is slower, while the other uses more battery. Since I am new to this is there a way to compare or quantify what might be lost by one being slower or gained if using Wi-Fi? How long will a fully charged 5S Iphone last?
I tend to be a maximizer and would not hesitate to spend the extra $20 if I felt the data would be better and the phone life for a track session or two is adequate.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It depends. In case you want highest update rate (= highes resolution in data), you are better off with the OBDLink MX. But please keep in mind: storage rate is defined by GPS in LapTimer. So if you have a 5 Hz GPS and one OBD delivers 8 and the other 12 Hz - it makes no difference in recordings. Realtime display will be better for the 12 Hz OBD. My personal observation is I prefer the slower BT version usually. It is more convenient to use. WiFi gets disturbed often - you constantly need to check if the smartphone hasn't switched to another net etc. Furthermore you cannot connect to a GoPro (which uses WiFi) and a WiFi OBD at the same time.

- Harry

P.S. The issues reported for BT in iOS8.3 are irrelevant for LapTimer. All sensors listed compatible are accessed directly by LapTimer. The problem seems to be in iOS's location service - which isn't used by LapTimer.
Image Image Image Image