How do I clear space on my phone

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
TXSailor
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

How do I clear space on my phone

Post by TXSailor »

I am a new user, headed to the track this weekend using HLT Pro with 16GB iPhone 4s. I want to shoot video with the HLT and overlay with the data, but I have limited space on the phone. I cleared off all other apps and photos and music, but only have about 7.5GB open. I am running 3 days at the track.

I will also be bringing an iPad3 (no 4g, just wifi or link to phone) and a macbook pro.

How can I export data off the phone (video included) to my other devices in between sessions or at night to free up space on the phone? What is the simplest way to do this?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How do I clear space on my phone

Post by Harry »

As always, first thing I want to draw your attention to is this recommendation:
VIDEO SIZE AND SOME THOUGHTS ON VIDEO RECORDING
Today's iPhones come with impressive memory sizes... Nevertheless, recording videos in HD or even FullHD quality will fill up any space very fast. Memory used for videos depends on the so called bitrate - the number of bits available to hold the visual representation per second of a video. For an HD video, the typical bitrate is 10.5Mbit/s. Add some additional space for audio and we are at approximately 80MB/min. For FullHD videos - supported by the iPhone4S and iPad3, a typical bitrate is 24Mbit/s, summing up to approximately 190MB/min. Or the other way around: 1GB of free memory gives you 12 minutes of HD or 5 minutes of Full HD.
Not only because of this limitation, my personal recommendation is to not go for video recording all the time. You miss a lot of fun and track focus when fiddling around with video. So my suggestion is to train the first half of a track day using standard data/time recording and then video record a trained session only. This give you enough time for a great video.
The usual approach to get videos to your desktop is moving them to your Photo library first (Video List -> Video -> Move) and synchronize them to your Mac afterwards. This however, will require the size of the video moved in addition temporarily (it is a copy + delete). You may use iExplorer (free versions linked here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=679) to do it the hard way: navigate to Apps -> LapTimer -> Documents and move any LapTimerCapture*.mov files to your Mac. You can move them back later if required for overlay.

Version 17 will feature iCloud support: it will add up to 50 GB (5 GB free) space to swap videos to. You will require wifi to move into in out - that's the only limitation. However, v17 will not be available this weekend, so it is more an option for the next track day :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image