LT doesn't work when iPhone turns off display automatically

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
achichon
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: LT doesn't work when iPhone turns off display automatica

Post by achichon »

Harry wrote:Hi,

My post on the sleep button functionality is not correct any more. iOS changed behavior somewhere in iOS5 or 6. Today, as soon as you press the Sleep button, the current app is suspended. So you definitively need to keep it running.

Btw, a scenario wearing the iPhone in your leathers will not work anyway. GPS reception will degrade a lot and allow reasonable timing. On a motorbike, there are two valid scenarios: either you mount the iPhone behind the windscreen (just like car drivers do it), or you place it in your glovebox and connect it to a Bluetoothe GPS placed behind yoir windscreen again. In both scenarios, a power supply is recommended in addition.

- Harry
:( well that sucks for me cos' at some point chances are the iPhone will lock (in my pocket). I understand what you mean about the GPS reception but i'll test it as atm I don't have enough time to get hold of a Bluetooth GPS (btw which one do you recommend?) also I don't really want to risk having the phone anywhere other than my pocket in case I fall lol (not that I'm planning to fall but it's happened before lol). anyways now I need to find a new way of running the app as I cannot lock the phone which is what I had in mind :( (btw could this be fixed for the new release, or is it not possible at all because of apple's changes :((((( )

thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi, that's not possible to change. The only alternative would be to "background enable" LapTimer. This however, would work for the internal GPS only and has several limitations I'm not willing to accept for a serious app like LapTimer. The change in the sleep button is an iOS change you cannot work around on the app side. Back to wearing the iPhone in your pocket: I'm absolutely not sure this is save for your iPhone, but I'm sure it is a severe risk for yourself. In case you fall, you really do not want to have anything hard in your pockets. Please don't do this (and I personally know what I'm talking about here...). Why not placing the iPhone behind your windscreen? There are great mounts available - or you simply use an inexpensive case plus some tape?

The list of compatible GPSes is available here: www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
achichon
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by achichon »

:( well that's an annoying change from apple lol

thanks for your concerns, I understand what you mean but atm I don't have many more options other than my inner pocket in my jacket (I've done it before and it fine in there tbh). I am trying to borrow a friends lifeproof case and strap it really well to the triple tree and hope that it won't fly off lol my concern if I fall is that I won't be allowed to look for the iPhone or GoPro and lose it :(