Steering angle?

Request and discussion on new / to change features
Mr. Pockets
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Steering angle?

Post by Mr. Pockets »

Harry,

Many modern cars (including mine) have steering angle sensors built in to them as part of the stability control system. Is there any chance you could log that and include it in the video overlay?

Thanks,
Nick
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Steering angle?

Post by Harry »

There is lots of data on modern cars I'd like to get my hands on. Oddly, these are non standardized values - and they need to be licensed in addition. Not a feasible path for me currently...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

There is probably a reason why not, but...
Could you not ensure that the steering wheel is in shot, so you can get steering angle from that?
h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

hms wrote:There is probably a reason why not, but...
Could you not ensure that the steering wheel is in shot, so you can get steering angle from that?
h
Don't get the point, what does 'in shot' mean?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

In shot, meaning the video also shows the steering wheel, or part of. It means you cannot use a screen mount for the phone, but would have to have the iphone mopunted to the rear of the driver.
h
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Mr. Pockets
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Mr. Pockets »

Harry wrote:
hms wrote:There is probably a reason why not, but...
h
Don't get the point, what does 'in shot' mean?

- Harry
Harry,

I think hms is suggesting I relocate the camera so that it can see the steering wheel. It's a good idea, and something I had already considered myself. I've looked up iPhone charger extenders so that I can keep the OBDII interface connected.

Still, I thought I'd ask if you had access to the data from the car. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Nick
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Oh yes, I understand :-) I will keep this term in mind :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

Yep thats correct,
Before HLT I was filming using a bullet camera and liked to get the wheel and dash in view. The dash gave some indication of speed and RPM, steering input was also shown.
I think that brings the video to life seeing what the drivers doing, iphone through the windscreen is a little sterile, all the information, but none of the excitment of seeing what's going on.
I've got all of the bits, I think, to mount the iphone on the roll bar, so next time out I hope to try and get some HLT stuff filmed from behind the driver.
h

Mr. Pockets
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Mr. Pockets »

It's good advice. I'll probably try mounting the phone on the rear windshield or upside down from the sunroof at the next event in a couple weeks. We'll see which one works.
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

Look forward to seeing thevideo
H