Autocross setup didn't record any laps

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
vmbray
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Autocross setup didn't record any laps

Post by vmbray »

Harry wrote:First step is to verify data is entered correctly. As you used a compass chances are good you did it right, but to work around an issue here, 90 is East, 180 is South, etc.

Besides filtering driving direction with these POI directions, another difference is in the corridor applied. For POIs with a direction defined, LapTimer will always use the wide corridor instead of your corridor selected. You may check your Expert Settings for all the corridors, the wide one should be 40 (meters).

To further trouble shoot this, you may send an export of the laps you recorded without directions defined (.hlptrl) as well as your track set. Use the track certificatuon function (enter the user defined POI Set shown in Lap List for you AX) to send the .hpoil file and change the addressee from Tracks to Harry@gps-laptimer.de

I'm pretty sure the problem is around the configuration, a general issue would have resulted in hundreds of trouble tickets each weekend :-)

Harry
I agree you would be swamped. Also though the certified track set for Roebling Road also did this behavior.
gplracerx wrote:Are you using a start line or standing go? A standing go doesn't care about direction. Once you're staged, it triggers when it sees acceleration. For a start line with direction, you have to be moving fast enough that the GPS can establish a direction. Unless you also have low speed allowed set, you have to be moving faster than some minimum speed. The map display will show the trigger location and direction. The red arrow points in the direction of travel.
start line. that is helpful about the trigger direction, I will check that to see if the direction corresponds to reality. Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Have you checked your corridor widths? They are in LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings.
Image Image Image Image
vmbray
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vmbray »

Harry wrote:Have you checked your corridor widths? They are in LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings.
Just did, wide is 40m.
vmbray
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vmbray »

Hi Harry, I went out in the wide open parking lot at work to test again, just using the phone gps not the garmin glo. Sent you two emails titled 'Trouble forum autocross direction failure email #1 of 2'.

The first is with no directions, the second I set direction of 110 degrees using the compass, and my town is laid out almost due north and it's a grid street system so you pretty much can point north anywhere in town. Also I get compass orientation, if I am facing north and I turn 90 degrees right that is 90 degrees. So we can agree turning clockwise from facing north you just count degrees.

So in that test it worked perfectly in the second lap recorded. I set the course, had the low speed detection on, and walked a straight line. Then for lap two turned on directions. This leaves me wondering if this is a gps update issue, like not enough fixes in a time period to detect the direction. I think this is actually a gps issue now because I see on my laps yesterday with the garmin glo the glo must not have been working, the update rate is 1.0 hz. I will investigate some more, this is starting to make sense that a non-directional start works but a directionsl start needs more fixes to establish direction. I think something changed because the glo used to work great so I didn't suspect this as the issue.

Thanks
Vince
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You save yourself lots of trouble by not walking / running to trigger LapTimer. The system is designed to trigger on race tracks - mostly at high speeds. When walking / running, the direction information will not be very good. I believe it will be more sensible for higher update rates. I did this walking / running exercises myself in the past and are happy I have a good simulation environment now. :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
vmbray
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vmbray »

Harry wrote:You save yourself lots of trouble by not walking / running to trigger LapTimer. The system is designed to trigger on race tracks - mostly at high speeds. When walking / running, the direction information will not be very good. I believe it will be more sensible for higher update rates. I did this walking / running exercises myself in the past and are happy I have a good simulation environment now. :-)

- Harry
That's funny I can only imagine how much running that would be while coding :)

I will probably order a xgps160 - the glo seems to be part of the issue and as you've noted does not deliver 10hz in actual use. Also the glo cannot handle summer heat here when it's 90 degrees out it overheats and shuts down if it's on the dash, and if you put it in the center console the signal suffers. I am thinking suction cup on outside of windshield for best signal and to get air to cool it.