Phone overheating, how to shut-off android camera w/multicam

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
SBC_and_a_stick
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Phone overheating, how to shut-off android camera w/multicam

Post by SBC_and_a_stick »

Is there a way to have multicam on so that the GoPro shoots video connected through wifi yet shut off the camera in the phone? So far I've only been able to shoot with both the android and the GoPro working at the same time or none at all.

I've tried everything else to prevent overheating. I mounted the phone in the shade. I reduced the phone resolution to SD.

Setup:
Samsung Note 4 Android
Go Pro 4 Black
I connect the two using WiFi

The phone can kill it's battery very fast, overheats, and shuts off. I believe that if I can shut off the camera in the phone I can get a very robust system going here.

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Phone overheating, how to shut-off android camera w/mult

Post by Harry »

Please check viewtopic.php?f=39&t=697 first. It applies for Android and iOS.
External cam only operation is planned for v20 - Spring 2016.
The key to not overheat the device is mounting it in front of a fan.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
SBC_and_a_stick
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by SBC_and_a_stick »

Thanks Harry!

I re-read the thread. I took your advice and mounted it under the roof in the shade. The car is a 2015 Z06, runs hot, so I cannot use A/C. Without A/C the fan always blows hot, some sort of HVAC programming flaw.

First I wanted to confirm it can't be turned of from the LapTimer. Check.

Second I was hoping someone tried to download an app that shuts off the camera for all phone apps. For example, has anyone tried this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... able&hl=en

Good to know it is coming in future versions!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It is possible to lock the cam for exclusive use (and let other apps fail when accessing it). Nothing one should do or allow. When LapTimer fails accessing the internal cam, it will not start the external either. That's my guess at least.

Your alternative until v20 is not to record video with LapTimer at all. Just operate your action cam manually. You can add the video to LapTimer later. Steps required are described in LapTimer's Video Documentation available from www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation.

Harry
Image Image Image Image