Android Overlay Encoding

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
BoomSpoon
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Android Overlay Encoding

Post by BoomSpoon »

hardware: Galaxy S3 running Android 4.3

Encoding finishes successfully but the resultant video has either blotchy pieces of video or pieces of snow. Confirmed this several times on the above hardware. Tried with long videos and short videos as well as different resolutions.

The good news:
I also have a galaxy tablet 10.1 that is running android 4.1.2, recording and encoding is working perfectly.

As a workaround I'm going to record data on Galaxy S3 and then export the GPS and ODB data along with the video file to the tablet and then do the overlay encoding there.

Do I export the lap GPS and ODB using .hlt extension? I imagine that is the one that transfers between Harry lap timer data on different devices.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Android Overlay Encoding

Post by Harry »

Does this happen for the same raw video being overlaid. As LapTimer uses an external library to overlay, the result should be exactly the same - completely independent on device and OS version used... Can you please check the video sizes and length in addition? This data is available in the Video Details view. Thanks!

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

And yes, export .hlptrl and import it on the other device by selecting the attachment in either mail or Dropbox.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
BoomSpoon
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by BoomSpoon »

Harry wrote:Does this happen for the same raw video being overlaid. As LapTimer uses an external library to overlay, the result should be exactly the same - completely independent on device and OS version used... Can you please check the video sizes and length in addition? This data is available in the Video Details view. Thanks!

- Harry

The video details sizes and lengths are different. I did this test with a very small test video.

Original video: 7.70 seconds, 8.37 MB
Overlaid video: 7.64 seconds, 20.32 MB

I get this same result each time on the Galaxy S3 running 4.3.

same test Tablet (not the phone) running 4.1.2 works fine. I'll have to re-do a test on the tablet to check the file details on that.

Also when viewing the video list the original RAW video now has a RED EXCLAMATION next to the time although video plays fine and clear, the video with the track symbol and overlay icon plays with a snowy background. you can view the video its just got that snow(static) background.

When I go out to the store today I'll record video today with GPS and ODB data, encode it on the S3 (check result) then transfer raw file and export data to tablet, and encode on the tablet to make sure the result isn't different with actual ODB data which I wouldn't think.

I'll video the snow or the result and send you a link later today as I'm getting ready to leave the house.

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Great, thanks for your support! The different sizes for the overlaid video is o.k. as the original video is encoded using H.264 and the overlaid one comes encoded in MPEG4SP. H.264 compresses better and yield better quality but is not available currently.

The red exclamation marks are simply a mark the video is not "used" by any lap currently. These are typically deletion candidates. In your case, when overlaying the original video, the lap references the overlaid afterwards. This means the raw video is not references and gets marked. In case you want to repeat the process (revert), keep it, otherwise delete it.

So everything is fine except the snow.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
BoomSpoon
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by BoomSpoon »

Scenario:

Recorded 7 minute driving around town "lap". Used FULL HD and Standard HD resolutions. Video, GPS (from qstarz 818xt), ODB data (obdlink MX). Recorded on Galaxy s3 running android 4.3

Galaxy S3 android 4.3: RESULT

Encode of both resolutions says successful.
Standard HD encode can be played however blotchy and areas of snow rendering it rather useless.
FULL HD encode never produces a video that can be played. Attempting to play video results in a "can't play video". It does finish the encode though.
Also to encode the FULL HD 7 minute "lap" was about 2 1/2 hours.
Encode of Standard HD 7 minute lap was about 40 minutes so big difference there.

Galaxy Tab 10.1 running android 4.1.2: Results
using same source files as originally recorded on the S3.
Both encodes finished successfully.
FULL HD encode took about 40 minutes.
Standard HD encode about 15 minutes.
Video produced in both scenarios is playable and looks perfect. Smooth, overlay looks great.

so, unfortunately this appears to be another gotcha between android 4.3 with a problem and 4.1.2 working perfectly. I wish Kit Kat would be released quickly so we could see if these same issues appear in 4.4 kit kat which the S3 should be getting soon (I hope).

I know it probably doesn't make sense but something isn't liking 4.3 with the encode process.