Migrating laps to new phone - old device wiped

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
shadowpuck
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Migrating laps to new phone - old device wiped

Post by shadowpuck »

I decided recently to upgrade my primary iphone and so that allowed me to also migrate my track phone from my old 8+ to a 12 pro.

i though i had already migrated my 2023 laps from my 8+ to the 12 pro only to discover i hadn't done this yet. and, i've already wiped and sent back the 8+.

however, i do have a complete backup (not just an icloud backup) of the 8+ - meaning, filesystem, everything - and, i can access it.

what would be the easiest way to get my 2023 laps over to my 12 pro - or, would it make more sense to one of the following:
remove laptimer from the 12 pro and transfer the app from my 8+ backup using a tool like iMazing to transfer the app.
wipe the 12 pro completely, then transfer the app from the 8+ backup.

other than 2023, the 8+ edition of laptimer is complete - meaning, i don't have anything on the 12 pro that is not on the 8+ other than 2023 laps and videos.

i also have full backups of the 12 pro and the 12 pro is still fully functional, has access to icloud, etc....

thoughts on the best path?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Migrating laps to new phone - old device wiped

Post by Harry »

LapTimer stores lap data in its sandbox. This data is made up from multiple .pdb files. So when the app sandbox is transferred, the data will show up. This is usually done using the iPhone / iPhone restore mechanism.

The recommended way to migrate data without using Apple’s migration process is using a .HLPTRL export and its import on the new phone. However, this would require a working iPhone8 installation you do not have any more.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
shadowpuck
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by shadowpuck »

yes, understood regarding hlptrl export - but, i have the entire filesystem so i'm thinking something is possible.
applications like iMazing (and others) can move or transfer applications - i figure i will give it a go. i have nothing to lose.
i can see the pdb files in the backups i've made.
shadowpuck
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by shadowpuck »

as near as i can tell - using iMazing's app transfer feature seems to have worked.
i transferred laptimer from my 8+ backup i had, to my 12 Pro and all of my laps, including 2023 are there. i think i need to associate the video with the new laps but that's same as if i did an export/import of my laps.