GoPoint BT1 and BMWs

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
F-Stop Junkie
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

GoPoint BT1 and BMWs

Post by F-Stop Junkie »

For information, I purchased a GoPoint BT1 in their sale to use with my 2003 BMW M3.

When I plugged it into the car, I didn't get a beep at all. Instead, the red LED came on, then after about 30 seconds it flashed a few times, then went back to solid on.

I'm working on this with GoPoint at the moment, and apparently this means the BT1 can't detect which protocol the engine is using so gives up.

I've asked for a replacement unit to be sent, so fingers crossed this works! I'll keep this thread updated with how I get on.
F-Stop Junkie
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: GoPoint BT1 and BMWs

Post by F-Stop Junkie »

So I've found out some info that may assist those like me trying to connect OBD2 readers into BMWs.

Having Googled and read through many forum posts, it looks like the E46 M3 and the E39 M5 (both 1998-2004-ish models) are not OBD2 compliant. They have an OBD connector, but don't use the correct protocol.

The rest of the E46 3-Series and E39 5-Series *are* OBD2 compliant and can find examples of people using GoPoint products and also PLX Kiwi-Wifi successfully.

(Also the current E90 M3 is OBD2 compliant!)

Just to add to the confusion, US-spec M3s and M5s may be OBD2 compliant as was required under US law, but I can't confirm that.

So until someone comes out with something that can manage whatever protocol BMW has used for these modern M cars, it looks like it's a no go.

Time to start saving for that Porsche then! £20k worth of Porsche so I can use a £60 adaptor and a £7 pound app? Why not! That's man logic for you :)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Cars in the US needed to be OBD II compliant since 1996, for the European Union, they are mandatory since 2001. In addition, bus speed and thus OBD data update rate delivered is pretty weak in the early years. Current cars deliver between 7 and 10Hz and utilize a CAN bus.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
kuklinsk
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

GoPoint BT1 and BMWs

Post by kuklinsk »

Is anyone else having this problem/found a solution? My BT1 works on other cars but I can't get it to work on my '01 BMW?
fastlane
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by fastlane »

I have a 2005 BMW e46 M3, US model.

I tried a BT1 and it works fine on my three other cars, a Ford, and Oldsmobile and a Jaguar.

But with the BMW, the car I really want to use it on, it never beeps, and the red light just flashes very slowly.

GoPoint has been trying to help me, they just sent me a new unit too, but it does the exact same thing in my BMW and it won't work in the BMW either.
Themanalive
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Themanalive »

Oh damn....I just had mine sent to me where I am currently based in Cyprus to use on my 2008 Sigma (Ford engine) Caterham 7. I have the exact same problem as described above - it flashes red for a bit then goes solid, then flashes for a bit but never connects.

I have seen post on Caterham forums that have managed to get other OBD readers working so it must be possible - there is even a video on the net of a R300 using an OBD reader with Laptimer.

I have also emailed them this afternoon but no response yet. I fear this does not bode well.
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

iirc somewhere on the forum there is something about Lotus Elise and OBDII, and if you disconnect one of the pins the OBD reader will/should work.
one thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=562&p=2607&hilit=lotus#p2607

Do you have an emerald ECU?

h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM