CSV export crashes the app, but .vbo works fine

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
the_real_hova
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

CSV export crashes the app, but .vbo works fine

Post by the_real_hova »

Hi friends!

As the title says, .csv export doesn't work for more than one lap (session, day), but I can export a whole day with .vbo (haven't tried other formats).

Steps to repro
1. Have a database with laps. Mine is ~4 years old with a local size of 186MB on a Pixel 7.
2. Select a lap.
3. Click export
4. Choose only CSV
5. Choose either mail or share.
6. The app reboots itself without bringing up the share context and returns to the "Agree" screen.

Steps I've tried:
1. Repair the database. Check showed a bad GPS fix with a longitude of -12255.48 or something: clearly outside the bounds. (Extracted, edited XML and reimported, check is clean now)
2. Wipe storage and cache, reimport

Steps I could try:
- ADB debugging to get the crash logs? My phone's in developer mode already, I have ADB, and I'm technically competent - but not with mobile app debugging, give me a pointer and I can make this happen if it's helpful.
- Send the DB to Harry. Just ask :)

This thread: viewtopic.php?t=6408 seems similar, but they've borked their Database a bit more.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CSV export crashes the app, but .vbo works fine

Post by Harry »

Please send the XML / HLPTRL version of the database and I will check if I can reproduce the CSV export crash. Harry@gps-laptimer.de
Image Image Image Image
the_real_hova
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by the_real_hova »

Thanks, Harry! Sent.

Fellow readers, we'll do our best to post our learnings.
Robgti03
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Robgti03 »

Any update on how to fix this? I am having the exact same issue.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

I'm sorry for the late reply and the inconvenience. The problem has been about the CSV export in general and not the specific data exported. The later is what I investigated initially. The problem occurs for Android versions only.

The fix will get available as part of bug fix release 24.8.2 / .3 - whichever is the next.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Robgti03
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Robgti03 »

Awesome, thank you Harry.

If I want to use a 3rd party overlay software for more customizability in gauges, like race render or gopro telemetry extractor, what is the best format that I should export the data in since I can't do CSV? I've tried HLPTRL but it was not accepted (at least for gopro telemetry extractor).

Also, separate question, if I get a racebox mini, will Harrys laptimer use the racebox's accelerometer or the phone's?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This depends on the 3rd party software. CSV will have a good chance to work, HLPTRL is proprietary to Harry's apps. I do not recommend external overlayers. They might better meet you taste, but will mostly be less feature rich when it comes to data. Samples are corner names, straight / corner speeds, gears, power developed etc. All of this come from LapTimer databases or calculation not available in any export.

The Racebox's IMU unit will not be used. Smartphones come with great IMU chips, so there is no need to waste wireless bandwidth to transfer the data.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Robgti03
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Robgti03 »

Makes sense, thank you.

I have been using Harry's overlay feature for a few years and really like the layout and proprietary features, but the reasons why I tried an external overlay is because my phone is rendered unusable for a few hours while the Harry's overlay process occurs for a ~20 min video, and android has made it more complex to move video files from my videos folder to the Harry's folder used for overlay. Whereas on external overlays, I can use my laptop and set it aside while the overlay process occurs.

Is there a way to do the Harry's overlay process on a laptop or is it only available on mobile devices?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Smartphones only currently.
Image Image Image Image
aMacUzr
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by aMacUzr »

Another option is a RaceCapture unit. Some, though more expensive, have the ability to record telemetry data to an SD card (in CSV format), to interface with external sensors/devices and to run lua scripts to do custom things, so it's easy to use with things like RaceRender. RaceCapture's IMU and high-speed GPS capabilities are second to none. Of course, it also works with Harry's Laptimer (I use both).