Setup confusion

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
MMcCoy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Setup confusion

Post by MMcCoy »

Hello,

I’m new to LapTiming software and I can’t figure out how to see my lap data.
When I start the Harry’s software I open the Quick Reference guide and go through the steps and load the track. I have questions.
Do I need to keep my IPhone with me while on track even though I am using an external GPS Receiver?
If using an external GPS receiver, do I still have to calibrate and mount my phone onto my bike?
Regarding the Quick Reference guide, step 2 tells me to load my track then I am directed to click “Drive” and to not touch laptimer, steps 3,4,5 are for iPhone calibration and Step 6 says to select Timer or Speedo but no explanation why I should pick one over the other. But once I leave the “Drive” screen to do calibration, select Timer or Speedo, I have to re-load my track again. It may be a few minutes from the time I press Drive until the green flag drops. Is that a problem?
Regarding “System Status”, is this telling me the status of my iPhone, the external GPS receiver or both? And how do I tell which device the System Status alert is for?

After my session, where do I find my data? I went to analysis but there was nothing there. It listed a number of laps but the laps were for tracks that I have not been at yet.

I am using a Dual XGPS150A Universal GPS Receiver and an iPhone 12 along with Harry’s Laptimer Gran Priz edition v24.8 software.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Setup confusion

Post by Harry »

LapTimer records data in real time, so you need to have the smartphone on board. In principle, you can import GPS loggings using the formats GPX, VBO and NMEA. However, none of the sensors on LapTimer's compatibility list support logging these for a later import into LapTimer.

Timer is the recommended view for driving on a race track. Speedo is special when focussing on speeds. It is available in portrait only. Data recording and lap detection works with any view.

You do not need to reload a track set. Once loaded (and listed in Lap List), it is available and will be selected by LapTimer automatically. The idea is to have several track sets loaded and LapTimer choosing the one you are driving currently.

Please do not use acceleration calibration, use the Automatic mode instead and use one of the mounting positions in Quick Reference. Acceleration calibration is for special situations, you can find background documentation on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation.

System Status is trying to detect any issue that may disturb operation. When an alert is shown, tap it to see details.

Laps recorded appear in Lap List (LapTimer ‣ Analysis ‣ Lap List).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image