Low space on iphone

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Tomszabo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Low space on iphone

Post by Tomszabo »

I am getting a low space message in Latpimer v24.7.1 and cannot record any sessions and videos. See error message below.

The lap timer recordings list is empty. All the videos are in Multicam iCloud or Photos App. iPhone storage shows 42GB available. My iCloud shows 39GB available. How can I resolve this problem?

I have an iPhone 6 with 64GB of storage running iOS 12.5.6. I have been using Laptimer on this phone for a number of years and the database is 74MB with 574 laps.
Attachments
IMG_0062.PNG
IMG_0062.PNG (271.88 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Low space on iphone

Post by Harry »

I assume you get this warning shortly after starting LapTimer? Please confirm.

This is a warning only. It should not have any consequence on LapTimer operation.
Do you get any error message later or what inhibits you from recording laps or video?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Tomszabo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Tomszabo »

Yes. The warning comes when starting laptimer and does repeat more than once. When I check administration/system is shows available memory: 0GB. I have also tried to test it by setting up autocross outdoors while walking. Checking System Status shows storage < 0MB. When I cross the start line the timer does not start.

I keep trying to use my old iPhone 6 because it has all my past history (for comparison purposes) and my understanding is the video is better than later iPhones due to image processing (is this still true?).
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The problem is around iOS's memory management. It uses all free storage for caching. Once apps request more space, the caches are freed up. So technically, there is no memory available, but once an app requests more space, it is receiving it. Later iOS versions allow to check for free plus cache-used memory, your does not. But again, these are warnings only. So in case your AX doesn't work, there might be a different reason! As an example, LapTimer will not trigger when walking. That's too slow.

Late iPhones with a moving sensor (instead of moving lense) image stabilization do not show problems with engine vibration. I think it has been introduced for the iPhone12ProMax. All 13 and 14 have it now. These have clearly better cams than the 6.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cgwGTR
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by cgwGTR »

About to go to track this afternoon and updated to latest version of HLT. Found I am having the same issue with i-phone SE and the latest version of HLT telling me I don't have sufficient storage space. Deleted all videos from HLT and i-phone - but to no avail. HLT still telling me I have no space and it will not let me video. Can I go back to an older version of HLT please?

Update: I updated to latest versus of IOS and the problem has now gone away. My apologies.

Cheers
Last edited by cgwGTR on Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomszabo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Tomszabo »

I have installed HLT on 2 other iPhones (iPhone X and 13). On each (iPhone 6, X and 13) I set up an autocross to test. The iPhone X and 13 worked fine but the iPhone 6 did not. I think I will give up on the iPhone 6 and transfer the database to the iPhone X. What is What is the best way to transfer the database and videos to another phone (probably the iPhone X)? I have the backup in my email.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Tomszabo wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:30 pm I have installed HLT on 2 other iPhones (iPhone X and 13). On each (iPhone 6, X and 13) I set up an autocross to test. The iPhone X and 13 worked fine but the iPhone 6 did not. I think I will give up on the iPhone 6 and transfer the database to the iPhone X. What is What is the best way to transfer the database and videos to another phone (probably the iPhone X)? I have the backup in my email.
Please see the FAQ on migration: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3341
Image Image Image Image
Tomszabo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Tomszabo »

Harry, Thank you for your help so far. I have been able to move the data around to other phones with ease. Now I am having trouble rekindling the videos. The videos are in iCloud and show up in the multi cam section in the video list. But they are all offline. How is do re-link the videos with the laps while keeping them on iCloud?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Do I understand right that you have used the ”Unload” function? This will leave an empty video locally and the remote copy in the cloud. In case you want to use the video, you need to load it again first. iCloud should not be considered a network drive, it is about keeping a number of copies in sync.
Image Image Image Image
Tomszabo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Tomszabo »

Yes. I did unload because understood this to be a way of freeing space on the phone while still preserving the video and data. I see a list of videos in the multicam iCloud storage. I open each entry and see the filename and click download. It says it has 0 bytes. How do I load the videos from iCloud storage?