Is it possible to move the start/finish line in an existing track?

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Squirry
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Is it possible to move the start/finish line in an existing track?

Post by Squirry »

I've just had my first drive at Mount Panorama in Australia (Challenge Bathurst 2022).

I am using HLT Grand Prix edition and the "Mount Panorama Circuit Bathurst Configuration" track.

Initially I was puzzled as the reported lap times aren't as close to the official timing results as I'm used to, however drilling into the data, it appears to me that in the HLT track, the start/finish line is about 150 metres from where it should be.

Is this something I can easily change?

If so, I'd be happy to test it tomorrow.
Squirry
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Is it possible to move the start/finish line in an existing track?

Post by Squirry »

Some additional information, I believe the issue might be that the start/finish line has been setup to be where races at this track are started, however the control line that is used for timing (and for the end of races) is further back along the pit straight, hence the difference I'm observing.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

It is possible to reevaluate lap splits. First thing you need to do is moving the stop / go trigger to the “right” position. Goto Analysis / Real-time / Map and drag the trigger to the new position. I recommend to rename the track to make sure you do not mix it with the official track set.

Before doing one of the following step, please create a backup of your LapTimer database! It is easy to screw up your recordings when following the next steps….

Next, you can try Analysis / Lap List / any lap of a session / Fixes / second icon in the bottom / Verify Lap. This will rerun lap and split detection. Depending on the direction from old to new s/f, either the first or the last lap of the session will be incomplete and invalid. LapTimer always requires at least one position before and after a trigger to detect it and do a proper interpolation.

In case this doesn’t work, please export the session to VBO and reimport it with the changed trigger position. NB: this will create lap duplicates that are hard to sort out. So it is probably better to export, delete the laps from LapTimer and import the VBO afterwards.

In case this information is incomplete and you have questions, please let me know before you start this adventure. :-)

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Squirry
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Squirry »

Thanks very much!
I'll give that a go once I've got sufficient time to work through your advice carefully.
For the purposes of the second day on the track today I changed the start/finish point manually and that gave lap times that were close enough to the official times for the sessions today to keep me going.