Add option to disable sensor device

Request and discussion on new / to change features
shnappi
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Add option to disable sensor device

Post by shnappi »

I'm using 3rd party app for OBD communication with car (in background). Adapter is OBDLink SX (USB). I want to run LapTimer (on foreground) but without engine/OBD data. The problem is that LapTimer always tries to connect to the adapter (that is already used by other app). Newer Android versions probably require explicit permissions for USB device so denying/not granting USB permissions can be used as a workaround but on Android 6.0, that I use, I can't figure out how to do this. Therefore I suggest to implement user-selectable enable/disable flag for the built-in (USB) devices. Or other solution that will fix the issue.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Add option to disable sensor device

Post by Harry »

This will be available with the next version released. No time frame yet, but individual disabling is implemented already.

For your situation: I doubt the OBD Link would allow a connection with LapTimer in case it is connected already (to your background app). Please check whether this app drops the connection when backgrounded anyway.

Harald
Image Image Image Image
shnappi
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Add option to disable sensor device

Post by shnappi »

Thanks.
It would. From my observations BL and USB connections (on Android) can be "stolen" in a way that the latter connection request will (always?) succeed while the former/existing connection will meanwhile throw some IO Exception in its device read/write method. So if both apps are trying to (auto)reconnect in a loop then it will end in some kind of "starvation/livelock".