Issues Connecting GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
AIR003
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Issues Connecting GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Post by AIR003 »

Hi,
I'm using HLT GrandPrix edition on an iPhone 13 running iOS 15.6.1. I just bought a second hand GoPro Hero 4 Silver just for trackday since the website says it's the best GoPro cam working with HLT. But I have some trouble connecting the cam to HLT.
I read the document about video recording on the website and follow the instruction to setup the GoPro. I reset the GoPro (both general settings and WiFi settings), then connected it to the GoPro Quik app and checked all the function. Then I opened the HLT app, changed the settings to GoPro Hero 4 SE/BE then went to timer view and it showed the message saying no external camera connected currently.
I tried several times with different options, including GoPro Quik app on and off, connecting to the GoPro's WiFi using app and manually, using different configration in HLT including GoPro Hero 3/3+. And I even check the expert settings making sure the GoPro Wifi Host IP address was correct. And I'm 100% sure the phone connected to GoPro's WiFi when I was trying. And I also checked the iPhone settings making sure the Local Network option for HLT was on. But so far no success.

I have no idea what's wrong. Any help or suggestion will be appreciated.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Issues Connecting GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Post by Harry »

Please make sure GoPro's app is *killed* when running LapTimer. It may block access. Furthermore, make sure your phone doesn't silently disconnect the HERO4 due to the missing Internet feed. Depending on the phone you will have an option to confirm you want to stay connected although the WiFi has no Internet connection.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
AIR003
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by AIR003 »

Harry wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:42 am Please make sure GoPro's app is *killed* when running LapTimer. It may block access. Furthermore, make sure your phone doesn't silently disconnect the HERO4 due to the missing Internet feed. Depending on the phone you will have an option to confirm you want to stay connected although the WiFi has no Internet connection.

- Harry
Thank you for your reply Harry!
I did try what you mantioned in your reply but it didn't work. Good news is I was able to fix the problem by simply re-installing the HLT app on my phone and reset the rights granted to it. Now I can connect my GoPro Hero 4 via WiFi and contol the recording remotely.

Bad news is I ran into another issue about overlaying the video, or after the overlaying, to be specific. I started the recording manually in the video preview function in timer view, with GoPro 4 as master and iPhone internal cam as PiP. Then I stopped recording, transferred the video stored in GoPro to iPhone's Photo by GoPro Quik app, and re-linked it to the lap I manually created. Everything appeared to be normal so far. Then I pressed overlay and start rendering the video. The process completed successfully and I can see the overlaid video in Photo app. However, I cannot play the overlaid video. After I tap the video, a rotating loading sign appeared on the screen. I even couldn't watch all the other video stored in my phone. And if I took new photos or shot new video using internal cam, new photos and new video couldn't be saved. Back to HLT app itself, when I visit video list, I still saw the video and different sections, but I couldn't play any of the video listed, including the ones stored in HLT sandbox and iPhone Photo.
It feels like the core service of the photo was stuck and not responding. I think this may have something to do with muticam, since I never ran into this issue when I recorded only using iPhone's internal cam. I tried to re-install the app again but this time the problem remained. The only way to get rid of this status is rebooting the phone, and everything will go back to what they are supposed to be. But next time the same thing will happen again.

According to the document, the video from muticam should be tansferred to HLT's sandbox before overlaying. Is it because I used iPhone Photo instead that leaded to the problem above? I really appreciate your help. Looking forward to your reply.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

AIR003 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:15 pm
I did try what you mantioned in your reply but it didn't work. Good news is I was able to fix the problem by simply re-installing the HLT app on my phone and reset the rights granted to it. Now I can connect my GoPro Hero 4 via WiFi and contol the recording remotely.

Bad news is I ran into another issue about overlaying the video, or after the overlaying, to be specific. I started the recording manually in the video preview function in timer view, with GoPro 4 as master and iPhone internal cam as PiP. Then I stopped recording, transferred the video stored in GoPro to iPhone's Photo by GoPro Quik app, and re-linked it to the lap I manually created. Everything appeared to be normal so far. Then I pressed overlay and start rendering the video. The process completed successfully and I can see the overlaid video in Photo app. However, I cannot play the overlaid video. After I tap the video, a rotating loading sign appeared on the screen. I even couldn't watch all the other video stored in my phone. And if I took new photos or shot new video using internal cam, new photos and new video couldn't be saved. Back to HLT app itself, when I visit video list, I still saw the video and different sections, but I couldn't play any of the video listed, including the ones stored in HLT sandbox and iPhone Photo.
It feels like the core service of the photo was stuck and not responding. I think this may have something to do with muticam, since I never ran into this issue when I recorded only using iPhone's internal cam. I tried to re-install the app again but this time the problem remained. The only way to get rid of this status is rebooting the phone, and everything will go back to what they are supposed to be. But next time the same thing will happen again.

According to the document, the video from muticam should be tansferred to HLT's sandbox before overlaying. Is it because I used iPhone Photo instead that leaded to the problem above? I really appreciate your help. Looking forward to your reply.
Good analysis, it is the media library that gets corrupted when creating an overlaid video with LapTimer. This happened reproducible for iOS devices running iOS >= 15 < 15.6.1 and for LapTimer < 24.6.3. I received a few reports on the problem re-occuring with up to data versions, but the number is very small compared to those I received for the named version range. So please check your OS and LapTimer version. In case you are up to date, the only known work around is a device reboot after every overlay created. After a reboot, media library will be sorted again and the overlaid video can be used as expected.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
AIR003
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by AIR003 »

Harry wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:01 pm Good analysis, it is the media library that gets corrupted when creating an overlaid video with LapTimer. This happened reproducible for iOS devices running iOS >= 15 < 15.6.1 and for LapTimer < 24.6.3. I received a few reports on the problem re-occuring with up to data versions, but the number is very small compared to those I received for the named version range. So please check your OS and LapTimer version. In case you are up to date, the only known work around is a device reboot after every overlay created. After a reboot, media library will be sorted again and the overlaid video can be used as expected.

- Harry
Looks like I'm the one with bad luck, since I'm using iOS 15.6.1 and HLT v24.6.3, both are up to date and not in the range named in your reply. Maybe next time when I perform an iOS update, I'll use iTunes for an overall re-installing of iOS instead of directly updating in iPhone settings, which will lead to the installation of a patch only, and see whether this problem can be solved. An update of HLT in the future that can surely fix this issue will be the best, since it's a weird experience rebooting the device from time to time just to overlay some seperate video for a trackday.

One more thing I'd like to make sure. I'm using GoPro Hero 4 with HLT now. When I connected to the GoPro's WiFi, I could see the videos stored in GoPro's SD card via HLT's video list and I can play these videos without actually downloading them to the phone. But I didn't see download button on video detail pages. The document on the website says GoPro 4 does support direct download in HLT, although not recommended. So is this function still available, or it has been removed due to some reason like low reliablity or low download speed?

Thank you!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

AIR003 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:01 pm One more thing I'd like to make sure. I'm using GoPro Hero 4 with HLT now. When I connected to the GoPro's WiFi, I could see the videos stored in GoPro's SD card via HLT's video list and I can play these videos without actually downloading them to the phone. But I didn't see download button on video detail pages. The document on the website says GoPro 4 does support direct download in HLT, although not recommended. So is this function still available, or it has been removed due to some reason like low reliablity or low download speed?
I'd need to check the code, but it has probably been removed.
Image Image Image Image
AIR003
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by AIR003 »

Harry wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:36 pm I'd need to check the code, but it has probably been removed.
OK. Just make sure. I'll download the video and re-link it manually. Since the video recording is remotely controlled by HLT, the re-linking is kind of automatic, at lease I don't need to align the video frame by frame.

And at the bottom of the video detail page for GoPro videos there is an iCloud icon (I believe it's an icon saying downloading from iCloud). What's this icon for? I pressed it and HLT turned Using iCloud option to ON. But in my opinion GoPro videos cannot be transferred using iCloud directly.

Thank you!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

AIR003 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:52 pm OK. Just make sure. I'll download the video and re-link it manually. Since the video recording is remotely controlled by HLT, the re-linking is kind of automatic, at lease I don't need to align the video frame by frame.
Exactly.
AIR003 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:52 pm And at the bottom of the video detail page for GoPro videos there is an iCloud icon (I believe it's an icon saying downloading from iCloud). What's this icon for? I pressed it and HLT turned Using iCloud option to ON. But in my opinion GoPro videos cannot be transferred using iCloud directly.
Frankly, I will remove the GoPro entries in Video List completely. I considered it a good idea to integrate the SD card state in the list, but it looks like it adds no value and confuses everyone. :-)
Image Image Image Image
AIR003
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by AIR003 »

Harry wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:58 pm Frankly, I will remove the GoPro entries in Video List completely. I considered it a good idea to integrate the SD card state in the list, but it looks like it adds no value and confuses everyone. :-)
That's true to some extent. My understanding is maybe you're trying to build a gallery where users can clearly see where their videos actually stored and manage them. But external sources are usually unstable and you cannot manage them directly in the list, and you cannot overlay videos stored on external sources either, making the external source video list a liitle bit useless.

However, I do suggest keeping some "hint" on which video should be downloaded, in case the SD card is full of videos. The video detail page shows the link between laps and original videos stored in external cam, and also the length and thumbnails. These could be reference when deciding which video should be transferred to the phone. It works for me at least.
Also the Photo app section should be kept, and function to transfer videos between HLT sandbox and Photo app should also be kept in order to save spaces on the phone. The same video should only be kept in one place.

Thank you!
ayaanly
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ayaanly »

AIR003 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:08 am
Harry wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:58 pm Frankly, I will remove the GoPro entries in Video List completely. I considered it a good idea to integrate the SD card state in the list, but it looks like it adds no value and confuses everyone. :-)
That's true to some extent. My understanding is maybe you're trying to build a gallery where users can clearly see where their videos actually stored and manage them. But external sources are usually unstable and you cannot manage them directly in the list, and you cannot overlay videos stored on external sources either, making the external source video list a liitle bit useless.

However, I do suggest keeping some "hint" on which video should be downloaded, in case the SD card is full of videos. The video detail page shows the link between laps and original videos stored in external cam, and also the length and thumbnails. These could be reference when deciding which video should be transferred to the phone. It works for me at least.
Also the Photo app section should be kept, and function to transfer videos between HLT sandbox and Photo app should also be kept in order to save spaces on the phone. The same video should only be kept in one place.

Thank you!
Yeah
Download Latest Apps And Games From AVOID