external GPS sensor

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
petermbooth
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

external GPS sensor

Post by petermbooth »

When using an external GPS on a race motorcycle, does the GPS device need to be connected to my iPhone running HLT? (Or can I do my laps with just the GPS and then import the data to HLT after I'm done racing?)

If I need to have both the GPS and my iPhone on the bike, can that connection be bluetooth?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: external GPS sensor

Post by Harry »

LapTimer imports GPX files. So in case your GPS logger is able to record and export this format, LapTimer will be able to import it and split it into laps. I can't help with brands / models, but they may exist.

The default setup with LapTimer is either the smartphone or the smartphone plus sensor mounted to your bike. This is working well but needs preparation.
Image Image Image Image
Bleak December
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Bleak December »

Hi!

This is my first post, so hello everyone!

I am planning my first track day and have been eyeing Harry’s Suite as I think is the most powerful out there. I think I will be getting the Grand Prix edition as would like to add the HR to my overlay (off-topic sorry), but regarding the external GPS, how can i confirm the list of supported devices?

Thank you!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Image Image Image Image
Bleak December
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Bleak December »

Thank you!
Bleak December
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Bleak December »

I have a dragy laying around. Is compatibility integration for this GPS on the roadmap Harry?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

There is no out of the box integration available currently. It has a BT4 interface, so it might be connectable using LapTimer’s Custom BT GPS Adapter feature, but this needs to be tested. You need to contact the manufacturer and ask for a technical interface description to check that.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Bleak December
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Bleak December »

Hi Harry

I am happy to help and contribute to the community and chase those guys, although I am not quite sure about what to ask exactly. What is behind the description of the technical interface? What parameters should I ask for, it’s like they have to provide part of the code?

Thank you!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Ask them whether they stream GPS data for 3rd party apps. In case they do, ask for the protocol used as well as the BT LE interface (GATT). I can't say if I or others have contacted them before, there are so many. ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Bleak December
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Bleak December »

One more won’t harm :roll:

Have contacted them already, hope they come back to me with an answer, whether is a yes or no!

Cheers,

Bleak