ODB readout LS-1 V8 in Miata

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
olwe
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

ODB readout LS-1 V8 in Miata

Post by olwe »

I am trying to link ODB readout from my Miata with LS-1 V8 with stock GM computer (tuned software) in Laptimer. HLT says the ODBII is connected correctly (green "VEEPEAG OBD" in Status), but the readout in video shows no output rpm or horsepower, and where you normally see throttle it states "PEDALS". I am using an iPad with iOS 15.5 and a Veepak ODB-II Bluetooth scan tool.

My "Car Scanner ELM OBD2" App reads throttle, rpm etc just fine. Can anyone provide help?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ODB readout LS-1 V8 in Miata

Post by Harry »

Please see the OBD Troubleshooting FAQ here on the forum: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1500
Image Image Image Image
olwe
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by olwe »

Harry,
After switching the ODBII adapter to my old one (BT1) I got rpm, throttle, temp and fuel level readings. Not too bad.

New issues:
- After I put in engine data (non-stock) the tach rpm show and the needle moves. The 1,000 rpm reference lines and green and red fields show up on the display but not on the video (only needle on video). Why not on video?

- My iPad Air runs iOS 15.6.1. I mount my iPad horizontally and use the built in camera for my forward video. The picture looks ok until the shift warning flashes. At that time the screen turns to vertical. After shifting the screen stays vertical and is all jumbled. I attach screenshot of the shift indicator and the screen after rpm comes down. Before shift indicator came on display was horizontal. The video still seems to come out ok.

- Sound on the video is not synced properly. Sound lags by about two seconds.

Can you assist?

TIA,
Ola
Attachments
DisplayVerticalAfterShiftindicator.png
DisplayVerticalAfterShiftindicator.png (151.04 KiB) Viewed 593 times
ShiftIndicatorVertical.png
ShiftIndicatorVertical.png (38.02 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

For the green / red sectors, please post a snapshot.

I will add this to the list of things to investigate. I need to add, that orientation control doesn't work properly for iPads in all situations. LapTimer needs to control orientation because it has several views available in portrait only. The the shift indicator (which is portrait and landscape) is screwing up orientation needs to be checked. For now, please raise the shift flash vehicle property to 100% and make sure the max rpm is higher than any rpm you will achieve. This will turn off the shift flash.

Sound sync problem is a general video / data sync problem. Before fiddling with this, I suggest to run further tests confirming this is regular issue and not specific for a single recordings. See viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4940 for the corresponding FAQ.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
olwe
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by olwe »

Harry,As always, thanks for your quick response.

- I will work around the shift light issue for now.

- Attached find a screen shot from a video with no green or red fields and no 1,000 rpm tick marks, and a screen shot showing these items before the video is played.
Attachments
49D8B20C-1201-427F-9DA5-D0AD5ADCF613.png
49D8B20C-1201-427F-9DA5-D0AD5ADCF613.png (2.97 MiB) Viewed 581 times
AA8A3047-5567-4CB2-840E-523470B1DBA3.png
AA8A3047-5567-4CB2-840E-523470B1DBA3.png (6.63 MiB) Viewed 581 times