What's the best import format?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
cars4enjoying
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

What's the best import format?

Post by cars4enjoying »

Looking to import data from TrackAddict and it provides multiple export options: csv, gpx, kml and vbo but which is the best format to use?

As some of the formats seem generic do they include the ODB data?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What's the best import format?

Post by Harry »

CSV in completely generic, for LapTimer it is an export-only format currently.
KML is used for special imports, not for laps.

Import of laps is supported for GPX and VBO. GPX is GPS only. VBO allows a small number of OBD parameters: GasPedalPosition, OBDRPMMapping

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cars4enjoying
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by cars4enjoying »

Thanks Harry, would it be possible to convert the csv format output by TrackAddict to LapTimers native format?

If so where can I find the spec, I'll have a crack a writing something to do the conversion :)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

Possible - yes, but not simple. LapTimer's native format (HLPTRL) is not a logging format showing continuous data, but data already split into laps. So you get a list of laps. In case TrackAddict exports *laps* as CSV - it might work. In case it exports full sessions recorded - without hinting where s/f has been crossed, you'd need to do the splitting according to track sets yourself. :-(

There is no full documentation on HLPTRL available. But we had discussions on the format here - please try search. I recommend to export one of the demo laps coming with LapTimer. In case you get HLPTRZ, rename it to HLPTRL.GZ and unzip it to HLPTRL. HLPTRL is a human readable XML format.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cars4enjoying
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by cars4enjoying »

Following up with some additional info on the original question for others.

VBO imports don't maintain the lap start date so they all show in LapTime as done on the import day. This is a limitation of the VBO format as time is is UTC time since midnight in the form HH:MM:SS.SS and unfortunately this field isn't editable in LapTimer.

Using GPX doesn't suffer from this as it includes full date time. Might be nice to prompt for date when importing VBO .

So if you're looking to do some rendered output and the extra data in GPO is less important (doesn't effect the rendered output) GPX seems to be the better option.

Edit: Correct GPO to VBO and GXP to GPX (thanks Harry)
Last edited by cars4enjoying on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I guess GPO is VBO and GXP is GPX? 😀
GPX doesn’t come with engine data support - which has been mentioned in the initial post.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
cars4enjoying
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by cars4enjoying »

Oh dear, clearly posted that too late ;-) yes VBO and GPX post corrected.

The following data was in the VBO but it didn't seem to impact the render, so just checking I didn't do anything wrong or miss a step?

Code: Select all

[header]
satellites
time
latitude
longitude
velocity kmh
heading
height
long accel g
lat accel g
Brake (calculated)
Lap
Predicted Lap Time
Predicted vs Best Lap
Barometric Pressure PSI
Pressure Altitude ft
Engine Speed ÀÍÃ+
Vehicle Speed ÀÍÃ+
Throttle Position À€éÃ+
Engine Coolant Temp À€éÃ+
Intake Air Temp ÀÍÃ+
Intake Manifold Pressure À€éÃ+
avifileindex
avisynctime
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

All header items starting with an upper char are non-standardized by Racelogic or VBO. I assume the exporting application / box selected these by choice. I had a longer discussion on this with Racelogic (some years ago), but they simply do not have a standard for engine data - not even for their own devices.

The two parameters recognized by LapTimer are "GasPedalPosition" and "EngineSpeed". You may try renaming the respective rows and import again. Take care with line ends too. Oddly VBO uses some Windows encoded characters from time to time, so this may apply here too.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cars4enjoying
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by cars4enjoying »

Thanks Harry, I'm new to this and I would like to take the opportunity to say your app and support is awesome!

Hope you don't mind the bunch of posts / feature requests as I get to grips with things, as a developer myself I know how much time effort that takes, so if this works will look to create some tools to do the remapping automatically for others.

Does LapTimer key off anything in the VBO to configure the date?