RaceBox Mini

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
vafan13
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: RaceBox Mini

Post by vafan13 »

I've tried this and it seems to switch back and forth. I can not tell anything different in what I'm doing and every time it says it's connected to the racebox mini at 25hz.

I noticed it still shows a star next to the internal sensor in the Sensors list. Does that mean anything?

Edit: for my first session out it did the first 2 laps internal gps, next 2 laps racebox, and then ever other lap was combined into one, showing racebox.

Edit2: for my next session, despite confirming it was on racebox, it did the 1st 2 laps internal gps, then switched to racebox. Unfortunately it also combined the first 3 laps using racebox into one, the ones after that were correctly separated.
Last edited by vafan13 on Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
vafan13
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vafan13 »

My previous post from last weekend still hasn't been approved by a moderator, but hoping this triggers something to happen. I have continued to test with manual sessions and I have found no rhyme or reason as to when it does or doesn't use the Mini. In every case it shows the Mini @ 25hz in Sensors list and shows the Mini on the GPS screen if I flip to it while recording.

And as a slight correction, I am on 24.6.2, which is apparently the newest version out there for Android.
dharris16
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by dharris16 »

I’m running Petrolhead 24.6.3 on an iPhone 13 Pro with iOS 16. I’ve restricted sensors to RaceBox. The app looks for it—Searching—but then says Not Available.
All permissions are granted in iOS. The RaceBox mini is seen by its app and shows its serial no. and is connected in the iOS BT settings.
Help?! Please! Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please kill their own app, it assume it will block access by LapTimer.
Image Image Image Image
vafan13
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vafan13 »

Harry wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:21 am Please kill their own app, it assume it will block access by LapTimer.
Hi Harry,

Do you have anymore suggestions for me? I've continued to try testing and have continued to find no pattern. I have also seen something new: it will sometimes show internal sensor @ 1Hz but the number of fixes is clearly the 25hz of the Mini. This is still rarer than it just either being the internal or the Mini.

And just to reiterate a few things:

1. it always shows the Mini if i click check system status right before and/or right after recording
2. it always shows the Mini as the device on the GPS screen, including when I check it while recording
3. not sure if it matters, but when it first "connects" to the internal sensor it puts a gold star over the GPS icon next to it in the Sensors list. this star remains even after connecting to the mini. not sure what that signifies.

thank you in advance for your help.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The star is shown for GPS sensors with full integration. Full integration means including satellite information. It is not an overall rating, so sensors without a star may deliver better results than others showing one. It is kind of legacy. Ten years ago, full integration usually meant highest ratings too.

Otherwise, it looks like the sensor connects and disconnects frequently. When selecting a sensor for Sensor List, Sensor Information will show the number of connects since LapTimer's start (or Sensor List / Refresh). It is o.k. to get a disconnect when LapTimer is sent to background, but not while being in foreground.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
vafan13
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vafan13 »

Harry wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:12 am Otherwise, it looks like the sensor connects and disconnects frequently. When selecting a sensor for Sensor List, Sensor Information will show the number of connects since LapTimer's start (or Sensor List / Refresh). It is o.k. to get a disconnect when LapTimer is sent to background, but not while being in foreground.

- Harry
I do not believe frequent disconnects is the issue. I just did 10-12 manual "laps", and like before it shows connected to the Mini everywhere one can see (including during the "lap"), but all the laps ended up with the internal at 1Hz. When clicking on the sensor in the Sensor List it never showed more than 1 connection. About halfway through the laps I closed the app down to disconnect the GPS and reopened/reconnected. I believe when I did a dozen or so last night it also never showed more than 1 connect. It does properly count an additional connect if I send it to the background and come back.

Here is the view at the end of the 2nd set.
Attachments
laptimerGPS.jpg
laptimerGPS.jpg (42.35 KiB) Viewed 325962 times
phil9417
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by phil9417 »

I just had a track day today. I experienced the same thing. The laps say "internal sensor @ 1Hz" but the GPS fixes is clearly the 25hz of the Mini. Each gps fix is very accurate and exact, unlike the iphone GPS, but it is all recorded at 1Hz.

What I noticed is that sometimes the 1st lap of my track session will say "External @ 25 Hz" then it will drop to 1 Hz for the rest of the laps.

Harry Laptimer is in the foreground the entire time and there is no warnings or anything to indicate a GPS disconnect.

Could this be a new issue with the new iOS 16?
vafan13
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vafan13 »

phil9417 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:36 am ...Could this be a new issue with the new iOS 16?
I'm on an Android 12 phone and experiencing these issues, so I don't think it's iOS-specific. when yours says internal @1hz but you believe it to be the Mini, does the number of fixes it records line up with 1Hz or 25hz, or somewhere in between?
phil9417
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by phil9417 »

vafan13 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:25 pm

I'm on an Android 12 phone and experiencing these issues, so I don't think it's iOS-specific. when yours says internal @1hz but you believe it to be the Mini, does the number of fixes it records line up with 1Hz or 25hz, or somewhere in between?
For the 1 Hz Racebox Mini laps, I get 130 fixes, for the 25 Hz ones, it shows 600-700 fixes. It is not 25x as many fixes for 25Hz but many more times that of 1 Hz.

Have you tried lap timing with the Racebox Mini laptimer? I wonder if it is more accurate than Harry's Laptimer.