RaceBox Mini

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
Mr. Knowitall
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

RaceBox Mini

Post by Mr. Knowitall »

I just received my RaceBox Mini and tried to use it with Lap Timer Rookie. It showed up on the sensor list, and I can see it when I go to the GPS page. But when I went to record a custom 'lap' on my way to work, it showed a bad GPS update rate and based on that and the path I have a hunch it was using my Android internal GPS. I noticed that the Grand Prix edition adds a feature to support GPS >20Hz. Is that my problem? Do I need the Grand Prix edition of Lap Timer to use the RaceBox Mini?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RaceBox Mini

Post by Harry »

The >20 Hz policy is not valid any more. Actually it applies to VBOX Sport and ASL's RaceCapture devices only. So for the Mini, GP is not mandatory.

As the RaceBox Mini integration is pretty new - can you please recheck that the device is staying online for the whole drive? I'd suggest to use Analysis / Realtime / GPS View to check that.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Squirry
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Squirry »

Does the integration of Racebox Mini into HLT (I'm using the Grand Prix edition) include the accelerometer information?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, makes no sense. Other than GPS, smartphone IMU units (gyro, acceleration) are high frequency and high accuracy sensors.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Squirry
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Squirry »

Thanks
javoresku
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by javoresku »

Not sure if this is the correct place, but I want to share my experience from a trackday yesterday.
I started HLT (Grand Prix, 24.6) on my Samsung Note20 and it automatically connected to a Racebox Mini. For the record - I Don't own a Racebox Mini.
I couldn't make HLT connect to either my Garmin GLO or the internal GPS on the phone until I found a place in the pits where HLT didn't autoconnect with the RaceBox Mini.
I have also reported the issue to the Racebox developers.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This is the typical issue with the mostly "open" architecture of BT Low Energy devices. They do not require pairing or credentials. So when LapTimer starts to discover sensors, it may find one in your neighbor's car and connect to it. Please note this only happens if your neighbor isn't connected currently, and LapTimer has no external connection to the sensor type (here: GPS) already. Moreover, once you are on track, the connection will break and be replaced by your own sensor.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
javoresku
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by javoresku »

That makes sense.
Just to confirm - when there are multiple GPS sensors available HLT defaults to the one with the highest refresh rate, am I right?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer prioritizes any external sensor over the internal sensors. It does not do a prioritization by rate or between external sensors.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Mr. Knowitall
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Mr. Knowitall »

Harry wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:27 pm The >20 Hz policy is not valid any more. Actually it applies to VBOX Sport and ASL's RaceCapture devices only. So for the Mini, GP is not mandatory.

As the RaceBox Mini integration is pretty new - can you please recheck that the device is staying online for the whole drive? I'd suggest to use Analysis / Realtime / GPS View to check that.

- Harry
Thanks Harry, I did a 'lap' today on a different custom 'track'. I was in the Analysis / Realtime / GPS View the whole time and it was showing data from the RaceBox Mini without any disconnects (that I could see). But when I later went to the analysis of the 'lap', it showed the data had been recorded at 1-Hz from the internal GNSS sensor. Is there some configuration I need to set that I may have overlooked?