Trouble getting GP8 to work

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
Hindsight
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Trouble getting GP8 to work

Post by Hindsight »

Hi, I've read the PDF docs on the website and also some of the latest posts here in this forum so am aware of the challenges you have faced integrating the later generations of gopro. What I can't figure out is if the GoPro8 will work, at the time of this writing. I see the GP8 option in the multicam settings area, and I've tried using it with GoPro's quick app running and connected via wifi to the camera, but every time I go into the race > timer > video and select multicam, it doesn't show my hero and instead shows "No external cam connected currently." I've tried doing it with the gopro quick app running, and with the gopro quick app shut down. Same problem. I do see that I am connected to the GP8 wifi in my phone settings, and that connection is not switching to a different wifi.

Some of the info in the PDF doc and in the forum seem to be conflicting (IE use the gopro app to allow wifi vs don't use the gopro app because it interferes/competes with HLT) etc. I'm sure that's because you were trying various options as GP continued pushing out updates etc. But I just can't find anything in the PDF or this forum that works as of right now to get connected.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Hindsight
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Trouble getting GP8 to work

Post by Hindsight »

I was finally able to get it working. I really don't think I did anything different than before but it started working for some reason.

Steps I took were:
1. Disable auto-connect to my main home wifi so it doesn't try to switch automatically (not that this actually happened to me but better safe than sorry I guess). Ensure wifi is enabled.
2. Ensure HLT is not running
3. Turn on GoPro, go into settings, connections, ensure Wireless Connections is on, then click "connect device", then click "GoPro App"
4. Load the GP Quick app on the phone and select "control your Gopro. It should connect and you should hear beeps.
5. You MUST select "enable preview" now in the GP App. This appears to be a required step. Once you do that you'll get a message "GoPro Quik wants to join wi-fi network "Hero 8"" - click join on that. Now you should see the video preview in the GP App
6. Without unloading the Gopro app, launch HLT and go into "Race" then click Video, and then select the video operation mode you want. It might not see the camera the second that screen loads so wait a few seconds and the red warning message should go away and be replaced by "Go Pro Hero 8" etc.

I used manual mode to start a session and have it record, which appears to have worked, but now I need to look through the documentation to figure out how to pull in the recordings off the GP into the phone and put the overlay on them.