OBDLogic MX+ and KTM RC8R

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Barnapkin
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

OBDLogic MX+ and KTM RC8R

Post by Barnapkin »

Hello,

I’ve used Harry’s for a long time on my old “analog” Ducati 900SS. I recently picked up a 2014 RC8R that has a brain. This will be a track only bike, so i cannot buzz around the neighborhood testing the setup. My setup is fine from prior use, and i upgraded to grandprix version to ensure i had the latest capabilities.

I intend to add throttle, gear, and engine speed to the video. I just purchased an OBDLink MX+ to use with my IPhone8 based on the harrys OBD review. I am using the same cable interface that i use to connect to TuneECU to flash the controller, so i know that works. I plug the MX+ i to the DLC. I can see the MX+ connect to my phone and the OBDLink app as well.

I went into the advanced settings area and added the 3 pids. There also isnt a reference to use in the PID field. For example, for RPM do I enter $0C, 0C, C , or other? Right now i an using $0C format. Im stuck because there doesnt seem to be any “setup””/configure” screen to see what you are getting from the bike. I would like to verify that everything is OK before i go to the track. When i select race, none of the 3 parameters i listed are options on any of the screens. How can i verify i an talking to the bike while in the garage? I have a hard time believing i am the first with this dilemma?

Thanks for any tips.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBDLogic MX+ and KTM RC8R

Post by Harry »

Please do not configure custom PIDs without having the adapter up and running (with standard PIDs) already. In case your Duc supports OBD II and the adapters work too, LapTimer will display PIDs like RPM automatically.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Barnapkin
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Barnapkin »

Image[/img]Harry,

Thank you for the answer. I removed the custom PIDs and still do not see anything. I rebooted the phone and made sure the OBDLogic app was not opened. I downloaded the Harry's GPS/OBD buddy app and sent you an email with the log. Where can I see the TP, engine speed, and gear? I'd like to know things are working before I go to the track. As you can see by the snip, when I look in realtime analysis with the engine running, I get no engine data.

Thank you.
Attachments
MX+Connection.png
MX+Connection.png (186.23 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
Barnapkin
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Barnapkin »

Harry,

I connected to my car, and can see the Throttle and engine speed when I am in amalysis/realtime. I posted a pic of that screen. Then If I connect to the motorcycle, I cannot see the OBD MX+. When I go to Administration/Sensors, the OBDlink MX+ is listed as Disabled. No amount of rebooting my phone or refresh seems to make it enabled again within the Harry's app. The phone says connected and the blue light is solid on the OBDLink MX+, yet no Harry's connection.
Attachments
car.png
car.png (162.47 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This sound like there is another app having a connection to the MX+? Disabled means that communication to that device is not considered. This either means BT is turned off, or the sensor has been excluded individually. Please post a snapshot of your sensor list sonIncan check.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Barnapkin
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Barnapkin »

I have been looking online and engaged the OBDLink folks. It appears that KTM is not using J1979 modes.

From some KTM forum, the following was posted:
Throttle – it’s provided by ID 288, in the 3rd byte position. Turn it and see how it goes from 00 (off) to FF (fully on).
Gearbox – it’s provided by ID 297, in the 1st byte position. The upper nibble (hex digit) is 0 for Neutral, 1-6 for gears. When you pull in the clutch the lower nibble goes from 0 to 8 and back
RPM – it’s provided by ID 288, in the 1st word position, right before throttle. Start the engine and you’ll see it warm up around 2000 rpm and then settle in around 1500 rpm.

Is the information above sufficient on how we can make 3 custom data reads? in your editor?

From OBDLink tech support:
"Can I assume the MX+ could display or record J2534 communications?"
Unfortunately, our current scan tools will never be able to meet certain hardware requirements for J2534 such as pin-switching and programmable voltages. We are working towards full J2534 compliance and we actually do meet many of the requirements, but we do not have a timeline for when full compliance might happen.

"Error: Connected to the scan tool but unable to connect to the vehicle."
"Your error message makes it look like KTM is not using the default J1979 PIDs."
Because the OBDLink app will only work with OBD-II compliant vehicles, it specifically looks for certain commands that OBD-II compliant vehicles would respond to.
• We have seen some non-OBD-II compliant vehicles still connect via the OBDLink app, but users were unable to read many(if any) PIDs from these vehicles.
If your vehicle does not respond to the necessary requests:
• some examples would include the "0100" request, then it is likely that the OBDLink app will not work with your vehicle as it is.
You might unless you are able to visit a KTM forum to see if users can provide a string of commands needed to connect via this vehicle, but I would not be able to help in this regard. Though if you were to connect, I would recommend doing so either from the:
• 2 (black/blue) maps to OBD-2 6 CAN-H, or
• 3 (white/blue) maps to OBD-2 14 CAN-L
I am sorry that this was likely not the answer you were looking for.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The standard ELM327 based communication LapTimer uses, requires the implementation of J1979.
Image Image Image Image