GoPro Hero9 supported?

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
vincenzo
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

GoPro Hero9 supported?

Post by vincenzo »

I can get my new Hero9 to connect using the Hero8 option, but it seems to behave a little oddly. During preview, the GoPro kept recording and seems to start recording randomly.

I realize the Hero9 may not be officially supported yet, but is there any option for getting it to work?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GoPro Hero9 supported?

Post by Harry »

Hello,

GoPro connections are often an issue, not only for the H9. So I'd recommend to not assume it is a 9 issue from the beginning.
To test operation, please do not use Preview. Preview is mostly about the internal cam. Instead, enable Manual Timing in LapTimer's Settings to get Start / Stop buttons in Timer View. Goto Timer View, Video, and - with a WiFi connection established to the 9 already, select the external cam option. Return to Timer now and test starting and stopping recordings including 9 now.

On the WiFi connection to HEROs: the 8 and 9 seem to require the GoPro app to make the WiFi connection. They do not come with a WiFi button like former models. Smartphones tend to disconnect from the GoPro WiFi. It does not provide an Internet connection, so the smartphone will look for better options all the time. So please verify the WiFi you are connected to is really the GoPro.

Please report your experience here. I cannot purchase every generation, so your feedback is important.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Porschino 911
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Porschino 911 »

Harry wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:03 pm Hello,

GoPro connections are often an issue, not only for the H9. So I'd recommend to not assume it is a 9 issue from the beginning.
To test operation, please do not use Preview. Preview is mostly about the internal cam. Instead, enable Manual Timing in LapTimer's Settings to get Start / Stop buttons in Timer View. Goto Timer View, Video, and - with a WiFi connection established to the 9 already, select the external cam option. Return to Timer now and test starting and stopping recordings including 9 now.

On the WiFi connection to HEROs: the 8 and 9 seem to require the GoPro app to make the WiFi connection. They do not come with a WiFi button like former models. Smartphones tend to disconnect from the GoPro WiFi. It does not provide an Internet connection, so the smartphone will look for better options all the time. So please verify the WiFi you are connected to is really the GoPro.

Please report your experience here. I cannot purchase every generation, so your feedback is important.

- Harry
Hi Harry ,

i'm using the RaceChronoPro App since 2 years . ( Android Galaxy Note 10 )
This year i bought a GoPro Hero 8 because i want to make overlayed 4k videos.
But it seems , that RaceChronoPro is not supporting overlayed 4k videos - only HD 1080 p and HD 1440 p...

I would like to change to your LAPTIMER GRAND PRIX EDITION - if it supports 4k videos with overlay... ( ? )

What can you tell me about it ?

Porschino
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, LapTimer fully supports SD, HD, FullHD, and UHD 4K. LapTimer has WiFi integration only for GoPros, so the connection process differs compared to RaceChrono. Please see Video Documentation on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation for the details (search for Action Cam). You can operate the cam manually too and link the GoPro video into LapTimer after the fact. This will not require you to handle connections while on track. The process to add a video transferred to the smartphone is shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjVb8nWCXI

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hmdaus
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by hmdaus »

Harry Laptimer does not seem to recognize the gps data from the gopro 9 footage.
With gopro hero 7 footage the app recognise the data in the footage and automatically link to the right session and laps.
with gopro 9 footage I have to do the linking and setting the lap finish line manually.
When will there be support for gopro 9?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

hmdaus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:03 pm Harry Laptimer does not seem to recognize the gps data from the gopro 9 footage.
With gopro hero 7 footage the app recognise the data in the footage and automatically link to the right session and laps.
with gopro 9 footage I have to do the linking and setting the lap finish line manually.
When will there be support for gopro 9?
As discussed above, the H9 has connection making changed again. As there is no official support for 3rd parties any more, we will most probably not invest in a deeper integration again. Some users seem to have the connection working nevertheless.

As you have seen already, you can operate the cam manually and add footage to LapTimer "after the fact" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjVb8nWCXI).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hmdaus
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by hmdaus »

There is no problem with connection , once you start gopro quik and enable wifi.

I am talking about the format of the gopro 9 video when I try to link it to a session, laptimer does not seems to read the gopro footage embedded gps thus the need to sync it manually which is a pain. Particularly on some circuits I don't really know where laptimer finish line is.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer has sync information pre-set only in case the action cam has been remote controlled by LapTimer when lapping. LapTimer doesn't use any GoPro specific information probably embedded in videos. It simply memorizes time stamps.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hmdaus
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by hmdaus »

Harry wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:39 am LapTimer has sync information pre-set only in case the action cam has been remote controlled by LapTimer when lapping. LapTimer doesn't use any GoPro specific information probably embedded in videos. It simply memorizes time stamps.

- Harry
Harry,
The Hero 9 camera was remote controlled by laptimer.
Laptimer started the recording.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

O.k., so you should see a placeholder video in Lap Details which has the sync information. In case you don't, the remote controlling didn't work. In case the sync is off, either cam had a longer start up time than expected, or the sync has been change accidentally. Or - the wrong video has been Re-Linked to that session.

Please let me know which of the above cases might be yours. In case it is the "longer time than expected", please let me know if this is a common pattern you observe. It is normal to see the cam start roughly 2 seconds after passing s/f, but it shouldn't be a lot more.

There is no app/cam communication specific to the sync. It is only that LapTimer memorizes the GPS time the start command has been sent to the cam. from this time, plus lap time, it calculates the sync later.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image