GPS + data over single bluetooth

A number of ways you can support LapTimer development
MiataCory
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

GPS + data over single bluetooth

Post by MiataCory »

Hi, I'm trying to DIY some additional sensors. I've got a 10hz GPS going over bluetooth just fine (Navspark mini + ESP32).

I've also got an arduino reading Throttle Position and Brake application, and would like to send this *with* the GPS data. Is there a way to do this over a single bluetooth stream, or will I need a 2nd bluetooth device/connection?

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPS + data over single bluetooth

Post by Harry »

Hello,

This will require a custom integration using our Developer Program (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4572). One solution I can think of is inserting special NMEA sentences with the TPS/brake information on the Arduino side. In the HarrysLua script (see Developer Program) on the LapTimer side, you'd filter these sentences out and create engine fixes / data sets from them. The rest (GPS) can be forwarded to the built in NMEA parser LapTimer has.

As a work of caution: this will require scripting skills and has not been done before. But it should work. ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
MiataCory
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: GPS + data over single bluetooth

Post by MiataCory »

Thanks for the direction! Scripting is no problem, I just didn't know where to look!

I'll spend a few days going through the documentation and see what I can come up with.

I've already built a DIY logger with a raspberry pi using python and all these sensors, but I lacked the ability to analyze the data without really spending a ton of time creating another program. I tried converting my captured data into a .vbo file but couldn't get it all working in any of the analysis programs.

At which point I decided that buying your app was a much better/cleaner/easier solution!

I'll be sure to update this thread as I go along, and put anything I make up on git for others.