Apple Lightning SD card reader no longer works iOS 13

Discussion related to external cam aka action cams and lenses
Geoffoz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Apple Lightning SD card reader no longer works iOS 13

Post by Geoffoz »

G'day folks

I just bought one of these card readers and after failing to get it to work, I did some surfing and it appears to be an issue with iOS 13. The reader no longer works with Apple Photos, Files or HLT. As far as the phone is concerned, the device doesn't exist!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Apple Lightning SD card reader no longer works iOS 13

Post by Harry »

This is what I read on https://www.apple.com/shop/reviews/MJYT ... era-reader:
Open the photos app and go down to imports, plug in your apple lightning sd card reader, click import (bottom right)when it says no files wait for a little while then it works. It is different to the way we did it before but it does work.
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Geoffoz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Geoffoz »

Thx Harry, I'm doing the 13.1.3 update and will try that again. It didn't seem to work the first time...
Geoffoz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Geoffoz »

Upgraded to 13.1.3, 64GB iPhone SE with over 6GB spare space. MicroSD card in an adaptor, containing footage from a GoPro Hero 5 Black.
Plugged in the card reader and selected Photos>Albums>Imports. The screen shows "No photos or Videos". Left it on that screen from 32 minutes while I watched Metro 6R4 videos (!). No change on screen.
I'll try another phone later.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

O.k., so I pulled out my Lightning reader to check what is going on. The Photo app didn't work as described above. The SD card didn't show up, neither in Imports, neither elsewhere... As usual, Google is your friend when searching for stuff, so I found this one: https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06 ... ith-ios-13

What is working for me is starting the Files app, select Browse in the bottom. Plug in the SD card reader now and it shows up under Locations after a few seconds. It is shown with the name of the SD card, not "SD Card" or "Apple Lightning SD Card Reader".

From here, you can move videos around (tried it with GoPro vids too) or watch it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Geoffoz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Geoffoz »

Thx Harry. I'll see if renaming the card helps.
Geoffoz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Geoffoz »

I haven't renamed the card yet, but I did test it with an iPhone 7 running iOS 12.4 and it was not recognised. It may actually be faulty?
Geoffoz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Geoffoz »

Just an update on this. I tried 3 different SD to microSD adaptors. Only one worked (Sandisk brand)! So I can now see the contents on the microSD card using the Files option in iOS13, and Photos does display the Import menu item when the card is plugged in. However the phone displays "No photos to import" and will not go further.
The Files app displays the directory structure on the microSD card and I can select a video, but playback is very slow to respond. I selected Sharing and downloaded a copy of the first 4GB section into HLT. After a while it failed with the message "The file selected cannot be process by this application."
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

What do you mean by "Sharing and downloaded a copy of the first 4GB section into HLT"? LapTimer cannot open a video from Files. It expects videos to sit either in the LapTimer sandbox (those recorded by LapTimer using the internal cam) which is not accessible except by connecting the iPhone to your PC / Mac, or in the Photos app. So once you see the video in Files, transfer it to your Photos app. LapTimer should list it in Video List afterwards.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Geoffoz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Geoffoz »

Hi Harry

when I chose the Sharing icon, one of the apps it offered to me was HLT, so I tried that to see if it would copy it into the HLT sandbox. As that didn't work I'll try copying it into Photos. I'm just putting a bit more charge into the iPhone before I try again.

Thanks mate!