Android-based car stereo to use with laptimer?

Introductions and general exchange between LapTimer users; use this forum in case you want to offer LapTimer related accessories too
zsjdddfw
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Android-based car stereo to use with laptimer?

Post by zsjdddfw »

Hi I'm new here. I have been using my phone to record laptimer for a while. I recently switched to a miata for track days, but because I still need to drive quite a while from home to track, I am considering getting an aftermarket stereo to keep myself entertained along the way. I am wondering if it is possible to get an Android-based car stereo and then install laptimer on it so I don't need to keep laptimer on my phone and get a clean set up without worrying about phone mounts? I have watched some reviews on some Android-based car stereos, and I haven't been confirmed that those models have full Google playstore functionality, and all reviews only cover some music apps. I am writing to see if anyone has experience with these Android-based car stereo systems.

Thanks in advance.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Android-based car stereo to use with laptimer?

Post by bulls23 »

I once played around with a cheap China Android radio and was able to download and install HLT. Problem is the lack of documentation for those no name radios and also the used android versions (usually pretty old). GPS chip wasn't great either and I don't think it would have performed too good on track (did not test it on an actual track). Hardware was on the weaker side too...not too much memory and rather slow processor...I think those were the biggest bottle necks for HLT on that special radio. Not aware of a "known brand" android radio...I guess you'll have to do some digging and find one with suitable hardware and still it will be trial and error in my opinion.