Garmin Glo 2

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
tsapi72
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Garmin Glo 2

Post by tsapi72 »

HSV Guy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:43 pm --edit -- Used the friction mount today and it didn't move at all. I am actually quite impressed at how well it sticks to the dash - mine isn't perfectly smooth so I was wondering if it might move around a bit but doesn't all.
Did you use the gps in a trackday on the friction mount on the dashboard and nothing moved? If yes, then this is really impressive! :o

Nevertheless, even for the case of an accident, I think I would prefer a sturdier way to secure the gps on the dashboard.. :shock:
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Connect the GLO es recommended by Garmin. This will feed in GLO data into iOS’s location service. In LapTimer it will appear as “iPhone GNSS” but deliver a higher update rate than 1Hz and better accuracy.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
ManuMRS
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ManuMRS »

Hi guys, sorry I'm new on this forum. I tried to find a GPS from my iPhone 12 running Laptimer Grand Prix to increase the accuracy and the sampling frequency. Not easy to find one available. I was potentially looking at the Garmin Glo 2. Any advices here or guidelines or better choice? Thanks very much in advance.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Well, the full discussion on solutions is available on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios. Depending on your country, it may be difficult to find a distributor. The Glo2 is working with LapTimer, but it is not integrated directly. This means you will pair the device with your iPhone and iOS will feed the data to all apps - replacing the GPS stream from the internal GPS. LapTimer will consider this the iPhone's GPS and display it like this. However, it will show an update rate bigger the the usual 1Hz.

The last time I worked with the Glo, the Mfi integration into iOS did not deliver the 10 Hz claimed. Instead, I got 4 or 5 Hz only. Another reason the Glo is not on the first class recommendation list. But it may have changed since then...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
phil9417
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by phil9417 »

The Glo 2 will have better accuracy than the iphone GPS? 4-5 Hz and usage of GLONASS and GPS should be better, right?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, both yes.
Image Image Image Image
carramrod
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by carramrod »

Says right on the Specs page:

Update rate: 10 Hz (iOS devices will not support a 10 Hz update rate)

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/64510 ... 4-01#specs