XGPS150 5 Hz update.

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: XGPS150 5 Hz update.

Post by Harry »

Yes, that's what I did yesterday to test. I received 5 Hz on Android afterwards. Do not forget to unpair your friends iPhone and the Dual once you have initialized it.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

On a PC, you would use a tool like Hyperterminal to connect to the COM port the BT connection is mapped to and send the above string. I'm pretty outdated on Windows and don't know if Hyperterminal is still part of recent Windows versions, in XP it worked.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Harry wrote:To switch the XGP150 from 1 Hz to 5 Hz you need the firmware you have already and you need to send "S05FFFFFFFF" + Newline to the GPS once. While the iOS version of LapTimer does this for you, this initialization is not sent in the Android version. In case you can connect your GPS to a PC and send this sequence to it it will be in 5 Hz mode permanently. I add this item to LapTimer Android feature list but cannot commit a release date yet.

- Harry
Sorry, I have been wrong here. The initialization sequence *is* sent by both the iOS and the Android versions. It is *not* necessary to send these sequences.

So back to zero, please check the following items to understand what is wrong:
  1. Please make sure you have firmware 1.2.6 installed. In case all other items are o.k., you may consider reinstalling the 5 Hz firmware from Dual's site (again).
  2. Enter LapTimer and switch to "Sensors List". Make sure the Dual is visible and reported as Connected (green icon). The sensor name starts with "XGPS150-" followed by the serial number.
  3. Press the information icon for the sensor. You should see "Connected and listening to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, NMEA sentences received: GPGGA, GPGSA, GPPWR, GPGSV, GPRMC, GTVTG"
  4. As long as the XGPS has no position locked, the green LED will blink and you will see no update rate in LapTimer's Sensor List. Once the connection is established, the "Connected" will change to "Connected @ x Hz".
Please check all the above items and let me know if you can confirm the expected values, or see any difference.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
vincenzo
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vincenzo »

Thanks for the detailed follow up Harry! I'll give it a try today.

I was having trouble getting the firmware to update due to the infinite loop issue but I suspect that the Prolific updater is getting an error since I already have 1.2.6 installed. (Again, I just received the XGPS for Christmas so I believe it shipped with the most recent firmware and when I connect via USB to the PC it says 1.2.6 found then goes into the endless loop trying to update.)
vincenzo
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vincenzo »

Hey Harry - OK, so I haven't been able to flash the firmware yet due to the loop issue (may have to try a friend's PC or something) but during the process it seems to indicate v.1.2.6 (which might be why it's going into a loop).

Anyway, when I connect to the device with Harry's as you described, this is what I'm seeing:

"Connected and listening to 00:19:01:36:5E:28, NMEA sentences received: GPGSV, GPRMC, GPVTG, GPGGA, GPGSA, GPPWR"

I am also seeing "connected @ 1 hz" as in this screenshot:

Does that help indicate what the issue might be?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Had a chance to clarify this with Dual yesterday evening. Although the Android version of LapTimer sends the high update rate sequence to the XGPS, it is the wrong one. The sequences used in Apple and General mode (see the small switch) are different. As a direct port, the Android version of LapTimer sends the (wrong) Apple specific sequence currently - which has no effect. So there are two options: either switch the XGPS150 to high update rates by pairing it with a friend's iPhone and LapTimer / GPS Buddy installed, or wait for the next Android update.

I plan to release the next Android version within the next days.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
vincenzo
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vincenzo »

Harry - Thanks for the follow up! If I can connect with a friend with an iPhone soon, I'll do that but otherwise will just wait for the updated Android version. I don't have a trackday coming up until February anyway (Laguna Seca!)

Really appreciate all your time and help troubleshooting this. Looking forward to the new Android versions in 2014 too!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The update will be available in a few minutes. The update rate should be switched to 4 or 5 Hz automatically once you connect the XGPS150.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
vincenzo
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vincenzo »

Got the new update and seems to be working! Thank you!

Also noticed you added some support for overriding if anyone were to need to send the codes to the Dual XGPS manually. Great work.

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the feedback, happy to hear it works. The Expert Setting is available for most sensors now. It is a kind of backdoor in case a sensor has a special tweak one wants to use. For the XGPS150 there are no further tweaks available to my knowledge.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image