Realtime and LAndscape mode

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
dbbarron
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Realtime and LAndscape mode

Post by dbbarron »

Last night I started to setup HLT for landscape Video Camera mount (essentially plumb and straight center windshield landscape mode), and ran a custom calibration. Thereafter I tried Race/Timer mode which worked fine and gave correct acceleration readings.

Then I selected Realtime-->Acceleration. A portrait orientation screen was displayed and the system then forced a recalibration, essentially wiping out what I had done. Moreover, it displayed incorrect acceleration information (showing 1.0g left probably becuase it was displaying portrait mode but physically landscape mounted). Then when I backed out of Realtime mode, everything stayed portrait orientation until I restarted the HLT app itself.

I then switched (in settings) to video mode calibration preset thinking it was good enough. The data seemed fine, although Realtime -> Acceleration still has the portrait mode issue and displays 1.0g left (due to phone being physically mounted in landscape mode); although with calibration set manually to Video Cam mode, it does not force a recal.

Can anyone advise how to setup landscape mode, perform a calibration that is not overwritten by going into Realtime modes and does not lock up the orientation incorrectly. I am concerned that on race day, I will somehow lose the custom calibration or other fault in line with the above.

db
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Realtime and LAndscape mode

Post by Harry »

Don't use landscape for the Acceleration View. You can calibrate your device in portrait (using the Acceleration View) and lock the calibration afterwards. LapTimer actually takes two rotation matrices into account: one for the generate calibration and one for screen orientation. The former is locked meaning you can use a landscape view once it is fixed. The details are available in Acceleration Handling on www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation.

On locked rotation: LapTimer locks any rotation (except forced ones in case the respective view is portrait or landscape only) while driving. This is to work around flips when going through a corner fast (lateral > gravity). In general, rotation and other device handling should not be one while driving.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image