Iphone6s 6s+ question

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
digitalzombie
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Iphone6s 6s+ question

Post by digitalzombie »

Hello,
I just purchased the petrolhead edition of the laptimer, I think it is great and has massive potential. At some point I will be using it with an external gps and bluetooth OBDII module but for now I am trying to do everything using the Iphone.

I currently have an Iphone6+ and while using the rear camera mounted with RAM mounts and the iphone6+ specific cradle at night on the windshield, I experienced a lot of vibration on the video. I have also (through work) ordered an Iphone6s (small one) to replace my current phone but after reading some reviews I figured out that it does not have optical image stabilization. It only has digital image stabilization.

My question is : Should I cancel my order and go with an Iphone6s+ and get the optical image stabilization feature, will it make a big difference? I don't think I will be recording video over 1920x1080. If OIS is not worth it I would rather have the smaller form factor phone.

Vehicle is 2013 911C2S, usual tracks are Willow Springs big track, streets of willow, Buttonwillow, Autoclub speedway fontana.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Iphone6s 6s+ question

Post by Harry »

To my knowledge the jello is the same for all iPhones later than the 4S. I have no solution yet but believe it will be necessary to combine a stable mount with some damping.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Harry wrote:To my knowledge the jello is the same for all iPhones later than the 4S. I have no solution yet but believe it will be necessary to combine a stable mount with some damping.

Harry
As long as you aren't getting jello with an action cam firmly mounted to the car, the problem isn't the mount as it is with drones. It's the OS. Someone needs to convince Apple that when you ask the OS to turn image stabilization and autofocus off, you really want it off until you turn it back on.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

gplracerx wrote:
Harry wrote:To my knowledge the jello is the same for all iPhones later than the 4S. I have no solution yet but believe it will be necessary to combine a stable mount with some damping.

Harry
As long as you aren't getting jello with an action cam firmly mounted to the car, the problem isn't the mount as it is with drones. It's the OS. Someone needs to convince Apple that when you ask the OS to turn image stabilization and autofocus off, you really want it off until you turn it back on.
This is not the whole story. When I mount an iPhone6S into my LR Defender an turn the engine on (which generates quite some vibrations), I get heavy jello while standing still. No autofocus activities at this time. Stabilization - I don't know. I plan to file an enhancement request with Apple and will ask some mount manufacturers for help too. Not sure anyone will listen, but at least I will try.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
digitalzombie
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by digitalzombie »

Hmm I wish someone posted 1080p videos taken at the track with Harry's overlay on both Iphone6 and 6s+ for comparison.
metro2084
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by metro2084 »

Harry, isn't there any update on this yet? I bought the app and recommended ram mount and only when I was at the track found out about these "jello effects"... I wasn't planning spending more $ for an action cam ;(
Harry wrote:
gplracerx wrote:

Harry
This is not the whole story. When I mount an iPhone6S into my LR Defender an turn the engine on (which generates quite some vibrations), I get heavy jello while standing still. No autofocus activities at this time. Stabilization - I don't know. I plan to file an enhancement request with Apple and will ask some mount manufacturers for help too. Not sure anyone will listen, but at least I will try.

- Harry
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, this is a problem with the smartphone's cam capabilities. Nothing that can be changed on the app side.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
metro2084
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by metro2084 »

Harry, what about android phones, do they have the same problem?
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Harry wrote:
gplracerx wrote:

Harry

- Harry
You might solve that with a soft mount like they use for drone cameras that have severe vibration induced jello. Unfortunately, that may well affect the accuracy of the accelerometer measurements. Is a 4s better in the same conditions? Have you tried using a vibration measurement app to characterize the vibration when standing still. It would be interesting to see if the primary frequency correlated with engine RPM and whether the principle vibration was much stronger for one axis compared to the other two.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

metro2084 wrote:Harry, what about android phones, do they have the same problem?
It is the same for many recent Android phones.

Harry
Image Image Image Image