Mounting Dual Electronics XGPS160 SkyPro GPS

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
EvolutionX
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Mounting Dual Electronics XGPS160 SkyPro GPS

Post by EvolutionX »

I am going to order it soon. I am curious how it would mount? I can't see it sticking to the dash on the track plus I am not sure I want it stuck there permanently. I don't have a problem doing on the windshield though. Looking for ideas. Thank you
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mounting Dual Electronics XGPS160 SkyPro GPS

Post by Harry »

If both the dashboard and the rubber base coming with the XGPS are clean, you will hardly get it moving. I think you need to go beyond 1.5G... In case you need more, I'd suggest to tape the rubber base to the dashboard.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

My dash is textured vinyl and the rubber mat never stayed in place. If you've ever put something like ArmorAll on the vinyl, tape probably won't stick either. I ended up using Scotch Extreme fasteners glued to the dash and the back of the device removed from the rubber mat. It's not pretty, but it works. I think there's a black version that might be less obvious on a dark colored dash
EvolutionX
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by EvolutionX »

Thank you. I guess I will have to try and see. BTW don't use Armorall on your car. I own a Detaiing company and there are so many other products out there better for your car. Plus you don't want a shiny dash it just reflects the sun into your eyes.

Thanks again.
EvolutionX
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by EvolutionX »

I just got the dual. There is no way in heck it's staying on my dash. One quick turn and its sliding out the window. LOL I think I am going to stick one of the gopro sticky mounts to the bottom and get a suction mount and mount it to the windshield.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I see a number of people who use SoloStorm mount their Qstarz GPS mouse on the roof of the car with hook and loop fasteners.
EvolutionX
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by EvolutionX »

I went ahead and rigged the GPS holder using a cheapy Amazon gopro holder. I used the sticky gopro mount for the bottom of the Dual XGPS160. That's when the puzzle began. There are no pieces that fit together to get it mounted. All the gopro links are 2 "finger" on one side and 3 on the other. So I finally decided to snap off one of the 3 fingers on the size with the nut.

BTW does it matter if the unit is level? Will it work if it's right up against the A Pillar? or does it need to "see" to the side as well to pick up all the satellites?

And here is my masterpiece. LOL

gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

does it need to "see" to the side as well to pick up all the satellites?
What you want is a clear view of the horizon in a full circle to get the maximum number of satellites. So the ideal place for the antenna is the roof of the car. That gives the antenna a good ground plane too, assuming a metal roof. The advantage of the Dual is that it can use the Russian GLONASS satellites as well as the American ones. That means you may still be able to get decent precision with a restricted view of the sky. A dash mount, for example doesn't see to the rear very well, but it still works.
EvolutionX
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by EvolutionX »

The roof is aluminum. Will it still help to have it on the roof? If I'm going to roof mount it in going to get a real GoPro mount or another RAM mount.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, it will be far superior compared to any in car mount.

Harry
Image Image Image Image