Silver State Challenge

All discussions on existing and 'to be done' Track Sets
NickeyZL1001
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Silver State Challenge

Post by NickeyZL1001 »

I am doing the Silver State Challenge in May. I am having trouble understanding what screen I should be using to help me achieve my average speed. I am successful in getting the external GPS and Go Pro connected to the HLT. I don't have an OBDII yet, as GoPoint isn't available right now. But when I select VIDEO, that screen isn't providing me what I believe I need to be successful at the race. I thought I would see a plus and minus so that I knew at all times if I was above or below the average speed I must meet. I think that is the only issue I have. Once I have everything connected, I select the orange launch button, start, then how do I get the screen to show the meaningful information I need to meet my average time?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Silver State Challenge

Post by Harry »

LapTimer's main mechanism to support regularity races is its built in predictive lap timing or gap display comparing your current lap with a reference lap. This however, requires you to have something to compare against (i.e. you need to drive the tracks at least once before). In case this is possible, record one drive. This recording will show a certain average speed / time required. LapTimer will always show this gap to this average speed. So to make it work for a different average speed, you need to calculate which time difference needs to result when finishing your regularity race and try to achieve exactly that gap. Please take care the average speed calculated by LapTimer is not very accurate as the distance driven is *measured* using noisy GPS data. The noise will sum up over the distance and create a relevant deviation.

As an alternative, you may simply use the Speedo view (iOS, portrait) which shows average speed measured. Same consideration on noise applies here.

As a final wird of caution: for a GPS based system, this will help you to meet the result roughly and greatly simplify the process of getting "in range". To get accuracy below a second (or more - Silver State Challenge is long), you need to apply other mechanisms.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
NickeyZL1001
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by NickeyZL1001 »

But if I want to record the race it appears I have to be in the video view and no other views. Also I saw that someone uploaded a base lap using predetermined times between each poi. Where can I find those instructions and which view do I select so that my delta is always shown. It is my understanding that with that I should be able to finish within tenths of a second with my only variable being the gps delay. Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The deltas are shown in the Timer view. The Video View is indeed not a good selection for regularity. As long as background recording is disabled, you can't get both at a time. On the virtual lap defined, the respective thread is the only source. It is somewhat beyond the scope of LapTimer.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
NickeyZL1001
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by NickeyZL1001 »

I just returned from the Silver State Classic Challenge. HLT didn't auto start, so I can only assume that is because the GPS coordinates that were used to upload the track were different than actual. I ended up only using the timer and mile markers and finished a little under 2 seconds from where I needed to be. So I manually hit the record button. Now are we able to download the actual coordinates?

I believe that the only away I can be in the running is if the display showed the following in order of priority: 1) plus/minus throughout the run, 2) odometer, 3) position on track, 4) overall time. I bought the iPad, OBDII, external GPS, and HLT so that I could be in the hunt. If I can't get those all do give me what I need to at least compete for a top ten finish, then what do I actually need?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

In case LapTimer didn't auto start, it has been one of the issues listed here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2&p=2#p2
The first one is the most important as it signals e.g. when the track set is not loaded. On the automatic triggering: the Silverstate triggers are pretty difficult to describe as they are in the middle of nowhere :-) To verify if the positions are correct, it is probably best to verify them on site using the Map view. In this view, you see your current position and the trigger's position. Please keep in mind, this trigger needs to be passed at speed to fire.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image