Android & BT1A - error message

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
wiperblade
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Android & BT1A - error message

Post by wiperblade »

Hi:

I purchased the recommended setup on the website- a Dual XGPS160, GoPoint BT1A obd2 dongle.
I have a Samsung S3 that I've installed Harry's Lap Timer on.

The XGPS160 works great with Harry's Lap Timer, no issues here.

The BT1A works great with the Dash Command app, real time data appearing as I drive.

When I try to use the BT1A with Harry's Lap Timer I get an error: "The obd sensor does not receive data at expected rate". The message says to check compatibility between car and dongle. Since it appears to be working fine with the Dash Command app created for the dongle, I'm hoping that the issue is a setting in Harry's Lap Timer.

Has anyone had the same experience. Googling the issue did not help.

Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Android & BT1A - error message

Post by Harry »

The BT1A is the recommendation for iOS devices, not Android smartphones. LapTimer on iOS supports all ELM327 compatible dongles plus the GoPoint dongles (Gl1, BT1, BT1A). On the Android side it is limited to ELM327 compatible BT dongles currently. BT1A support will follow for Android sometimes in 2014, but I cannot give a detailed schedule yet.

In case you don't want to wait but switch to another dongle, please feel free to ask for people interested here on the forum.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
spaRTan
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by spaRTan »

I've got an ELM327 BT device and I get the same error on my Nexus 5.
DashCommand and Torque are running without any problems.
In the experts setting when clicking on "Info" I can see the PIDs sent by the OBD-device.

What could be wrong?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

spaRTan wrote:I've got an ELM327 BT device and I get the same error on my Nexus 5.
DashCommand and Torque are running without any problems.
In the experts setting when clicking on "Info" I can see the PIDs sent by the OBD-device.

What could be wrong?
This topic has been on using a BT1A (which is *no* ELM327 compatible device) with the Android version. This is an unsupported combination and results in the named error message. The error message simply means "there is no valid data coming in at the expected rate". For the BT1A the data has not been valid, for a ELM327 it is either on a slow bus, or a compatibility issue. Please let me know which car (plus year built) and which ELM327 you are using. Please add a snapshot of your PIDs if possible too - that's always helpful. Finally, which update rate is reported exactly? Please check the Sensor List for this number (Hz).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
spaRTan
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by spaRTan »

I've tested it on a 2013 BMW M135i using a cheap vGate ELM.

Here is a link: http://dynamic.de.focalprice.com/ER1957 ... rrency=EUR

As said before Torque and DashCommand are working fine.
It would be great to get it to work.
Can I see the update rate inside HLT? I can see the GPS update rate but haven't found the OBD one yet...

A screenshot of the PIDs will follow soon... :)

Regards,
Robert
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The other apps most probably ignore error messages, that's not what LapTimer does. The update rates are visible in LapTimer's Sensors List.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
spaRTan
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by spaRTan »

There is no update rate showing in the sensors list.
The sensor is connected and HLT shows a green lamp.
I then tried RaceChrono and there the update rate is 1Hz for the slow channels (temperatures) and between 10Hz and 13,5Hz for the fast channeln (throttle, RPM).

[Sorry for comparing to other apps but I really like HLT and I want it to be as functional as possible.]
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No update rate shown means 0 Hz. This in turn means LapTimer does not receive a full set of PIDs. Please check the Debugging OBD thread here on the forum.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
spaRTan
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by spaRTan »

Harry wrote:No update rate shown means 0 Hz. This in turn means LapTimer does not receive a full set of PIDs. Please check the Debugging OBD thread here on the forum.
Thanks Harry - will do so. :)
xpediency
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by xpediency »

Hi Harry,

Are there any updates on this?