Pip troubles

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
muzizzle
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Pip troubles

Post by muzizzle »

Hi Harry, basically I get the iphone and go pro footage on the lap, I can overlay the gopro footage as pip over the iphone footage.

if I try and use the gopro as master and iphone footage as pip, it all looks correct, saying it will overlay 1 pip video, and just doesn't. ( if I swap the iphone footage for any other footage it says it will overlay & doesn't also)

The gopro footage has been made into an mp4 using the "iphone" setting on the latest version of handbrake.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I'm almost sure it is about the GoPro video format. If for example it is a 3:4 format, the picture in picture are will fall off the visible area. When you look into the lap's details, do Master and Picture in Picture show the same aspect ratio?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
muzizzle
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by muzizzle »

Ohhhh

The go pro looks a different ratio, possibly 4:3 as mentioned

The iPhone looks 16:9

Is this the issue?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Seems I need to create an "observation / potential reasons / solution" list to make troubleshooting more efficient...

Yes, that is most probably the reason. LapTimer overlays are optimized to support the iPhone formats (i.e. SD for 3GS, HD for iPhone4, FullHD for iPhone4S+5) - each with their native width and height. That could be optimized in a future version but currently isn't.

This topic has been discussed before: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1354
Please check for a list of valid widths/heights.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
muzizzle
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by muzizzle »

Superb, I shall try this tonight and report back, I presume it's the handbrake preset messing things up
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please check your GoPro video mode first. There are tons of formats available...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
muzizzle
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by muzizzle »

Hi Harry, I managed to get it to work, kind of.

The working procedure was as follows:

Made sure the GoPro was in 1080 (it had been in 1440)

I did the meta work in VLC

Now with the correct recording I ran it through Handbrake again, using the iphone & ipod setting, but correcting the width on the left to give me 1280 * 720

In the app, the HD footage was still shown as offline, I have to delete it from the lap detail and re add it, which is strange.

Then I can happily overlay the iphone footage as pip over the go pro footage.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for coming back. It is pretty obvious that once you step out of Apple's beautiful world, things get more complicated :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
muzizzle
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by muzizzle »

I was wondering why it doesn't pick up the go pro footage automatically though when the meta data is correct?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

To automatically pick up a video, both the video needs to have the MultiCam ID stored in the metadata AND the video link stored in the lap needs to use a MultiCam ID to reference. The later is the case for any links introduced for a goPro or iOS MultiCam video, all others use "hard links" (e.g. a path name to a file in LapTimer recordings, or an URL to the Photo Library).

Harry
Image Image Image Image