Gear Ratio Setup for Audi S4

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
ahkim123
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Gear Ratio Setup for Audi S4

Post by ahkim123 »

Thanks Harry for the great app and support. I'm a big fan and have used it for a couple events.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I searched the forums and googled gear ratio but didn't find my answer.

I have a 2010 Audi S4 with the DSG transmission. I'm using the Gopoint BT1 in the OBDII port. I thought I read that gopoint would pull my VIN and fill in vehicle data. Does that also include the gear ratio info?

If not, what is the best way to find this data? I found some people that posted some ration but when I entered them in the app, it didn't keep the numbers. Also, I've found mostly MT ratios, not the DSG ratios, which I assume are different.

Lastly, once these ratios are correct, how accurate is the gear indicator in the app?

Thanks in advance.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gear Ratio Setup for Audi S4

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The VIN is used to automatically switch the vehicle but identifies the brand only - LapTimer has no full database of brands, models, years. So you need to enter your car's ratios (and wheel size) yourself. I usually use a German database provided by www.sportauto.de This link is what I found for the 2012 S4 - probably not the DSG version: http://www.sportauto.de/technische-date ... 46671.html

Have you checked your car's user manual / technical specification?

Gear calculation usually works accurate - even with unprecise ratios entered. The reason for this is LapTimer uses a "best match" approach, i.e. does not require an exact match from all parameters.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image