OBD and Triumph motorcycle

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
johnny
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

OBD and Triumph motorcycle

Post by johnny »

There is one or two posts on this, but I don't see that it was ever confirmed to work or not.
I use HLT Pro and an iphone5 on a Triumph Daytona 675 at the track. I just tried to add a GoPoint BT1 to collect additional data. The GoPoint software will display RPM, throttle position, etc. in real-time within it's app, so the BT1 seems to be working fine, but I am not getting anything within HLT. I believe it uses the ISO9141-2 protocol.
Should I be able to get it to work?
Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBD and Triumph motorcycle

Post by Harry »

LapTimer uses the top most protocol (OBD II) and not any bus specific feature. So from my understanding, it should work. But I'm not sure what the BT1 app does... Does the GoPoint show up in LapTimer's Sensor list?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
johnny
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by johnny »

It shows up in the available sensor list with a yellow dot next to it. When I go to the speedometer view, I was expecting additional information. Is there anything that needs to be turned on in HLT?
thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Usually, you do not need to set anything in LapTimer. A yellow dot in Sensors means the dongle is detected, but not connected - either that has been unsuccessful or because of any problem with access rights. Both would be strange. Besides check what happens with the upcoming version 17 of LapTimer, can you please check the following:
  1. Turn off the iPhone
  2. Restart, and make sure you have not turned on Airplane mode
  3. Start LapTimer
  4. Turn the car on and wait for the BT1's beep, check if the connection is established now
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
johnny
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by johnny »

This is odd...
I Restarted the iphone and when I open HLT, in the "more" list, some options are missing. I don't have either speedo option or the sensor selection. Did I accidentally switch something to a basic layout or something?

Edit-I got it back by forcing HLT closed and restart. Still no luck with getting data, though.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No idea... Do you have a car available you can test the BT1 and LapTimer with? Furthermore, you may generate a log file and send it to me. The procedure is somewhat cumbersome and looks like this:
  1. Turn off the engine so the BT1 is turned off
  2. Navigate to iOS ‣ Settings ‣ LapTimer ‣ Expert Settings ‣ enabled tracing / logging in the bottom
  3. Start / Restart LapTimer and make sure you see a small recording symbol in the bottom row of any timer view
  4. Turn on the engine and wait until the BT1 beeps
  5. Check the Sensors list shortly (just to report how it looked like)
  6. Send LapTimer to background using the Home button
  7. Restart LapTimer and send the mail generated to my account Harry@gps-laptimer.de
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
johnny
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by johnny »

Hi Harry,
I tried it in a 2008 Honda Accord, and had the same result. BT1 shows available in the sensor page, but with a yellow dot. It reads fine in the GoPoint app.
I sent a trace file to you from the Accord. Hopefully I did it right and you get what you need. I did not see a recording symbol in the bottom row, but when I restarted it asked to send the trace file, so I think it got something.
The BT1 is hardware revision 1.0.0 and firmware 177.0.5.
Thanks!

PS-Trackday on Saturday. If you have any other suggestions to try, let me know.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The log shows LapTimer did not even try to connect as no available OBD has been reported. I have no real answer to what is going on here... I will release an updated version (17) in a few hours. The BT1 stuff is reworked anyway, so maybe this version behaves different. Furthermore, please update your iPhone to the latest version 6.1.3, you use 6.0.2 currently.

I know it is trial and error, I keep my fingers cross.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
johnny
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by johnny »

Still no luck with the updated OS and the updated HLT. I have the Petrolhead, is there any difference in the Grand Prix edition for OBD?
Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

There is a difference (optimized update rate), but nothing related to the connection issue above.
Before we go into an intensive logging, can you please check you have not turned OFF the following setting:

LapTimer ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ Use GPS Accessories

This settings should actually read "Use Accessories" and needs to be set to ON to use the GoPoint BT1

- Harry
Image Image Image Image