1. Overlay of whole video

Request and discussion on new / to change features
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1. Overlay of whole video

Post by Harry »

I moved your post to this existing feature request. Multi lap overlays are not yet supported but will be available starting with version 18. Version 18 is scheduled for March 2014.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Just_me
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

How do i overlay data onto a video

Post by Just_me »

I believe i am trying to do something fairly simple and common. I have read the video documentation and can successfully overlay speed, acceleration, track position etc. on my video, using the iPhone. But i can only find a way to do it one lap at a time (time consuming) and i wind up with 8-15 one-lap files, depending on the track. Since the program is smart enough to associate all the data with the file, i'm thinking there must be a way to do it automatically and end up with one complete video with the overlays.

Can anyone either help, or point me to existing documentation or a topic that can help me?

TIA,

Grant
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How do i overlay data onto a video

Post by Harry »

Just_me wrote:I believe i am trying to do something fairly simple and common. I have read the video documentation and can successfully overlay speed, acceleration, track position etc. on my video, using the iPhone. But i can only find a way to do it one lap at a time (time consuming) and i wind up with 8-15 one-lap files, depending on the track. Since the program is smart enough to associate all the data with the file, i'm thinking there must be a way to do it automatically and end up with one complete video with the overlays.

Can anyone either help, or point me to existing documentation or a topic that can help me?

TIA,

Grant
Frequently asked question here on the forum. I move this post to the respective thread ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

As this is probably the most wanted feature ever for LapTimer, I thought I keep you posted on the updates.

Multi lap overlay is quite a complex thing to do. I started by adding routines to manage full session video associations first. Why this? Well, if e.g. you change the sync point of one lap, all the others should probably too? Or if you add a video to a lap, you want that video to be added to all other laps of that session too?

Next thing I just finished is overlay configuration. Please check this Facebook posting for the layout and snapshots. You do not need to be a registered Facebook user to watch it! Besides style, I had a strong focus on feasibility. Adding just a "Overlay Session" button is not what I wanted. Overlaying full sessions will very often fail due to memory availability. So I made the one lap overlay the default but allow the range of laps to be extended from here. Furthermore, I have added status information so the user immediately sees how much memory will be required.

The final step will be to enhance the actual overlaying routines to work on a lap range instead of a single lap. As the above items are actually more complex, I hope to have that finished in 2 days. Once this is done, the overlay port to Android is started, the recording part works already ;-)

Hope you like it, please share the news and recommend us to your friends!

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Not one reply here? Seem you need more visuals :-D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtkV5mQlAsM[/youtube]

The feature is nearly finished in the iOS version now, here's the FB post: https://www.facebook.com/HarrysLapTimer ... eam_ref=10

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Immediately liked it on Youtube ;)
yellowss7
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by yellowss7 »

That's awesome. Thanks Harry! I can't wait for it to warm up so I can get back out on the track and try it out. 10F here in Philly, a little too cold to take the Caterham out. :mrgreen:
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

yellowss7 wrote:That's awesome. Thanks Harry! I can't wait for it to warm up so I can get back out on the track and try it out. 10F here in Philly, a little too cold to take the Caterham out. :mrgreen:
Yes, true, especially with the Caterham. You U.S. guys seem to have a hard Winter this year... Opposed to this, I have not seen one snowflake here in Cologne (so far).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
WilsonSteele
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by WilsonSteele »

Really glad this feature is comming out soon, looking forward to better videos on YouTube!
SpecMiata #159 '94 1.8L
SoCal NASA, USA
Spinnetti
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Spinnetti »

Looking great, can't wait to try it!