Can't Transfer Large Video from GoPro to iPhone via Wifi

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Can't Transfer Large Video from GoPro to iPhone via Wifi

Post by Dubbedown »

This is not an issue with HLT but more with GoPro or iPhone in general but for anyone else wondering the same thing I figured I'd give you a heads up. I picked up GoPro 3 black edition a little while back with the hopes to record video with GoPro as primary to free up space on the phone. Then I would transfer the video from GoPro to iPhones directly via wifi since copying video -> iTunes -> iPhone on a non-mac is not the easiest task. However I noticed that it is very difficult to copy over a large video to iPhone using the wifi function.

Observations:

1) Copying video over wifi (GoPro to iPhone) is painfully slow, approx 3 hours. And during that time you cannot run anything besides the GoPro app in the background else the transfer stops. You need to keep the screen active which means both phone and camera need to be charged during the transfer process

2) Although I was able to successfully copy over a test video (30 seconds), copying over an acutal large video is proving to be very difficult. I tried to copy 2x and each time the transfer would fail around 70% mark. I've still yet to be able to copy this video over which is quite frustrating given that any session track will easily be over 15 mins for most folks. You CAN transfer the video using low quality option (120mb vs 2gb) but then overlaying data does not look right since you are not working in the native iPhone resolution.
Last edited by Dubbedown on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Can't Transfer Large Video from GoPro to iPhone via Wifi

Post by gplracerx »

I think you're out of luck. The limit isn't Wi-Fi bandwidth, I'm pretty sure it's the processor on the GoPro. They put data cards in the camera for a reason. On my Hero1, transfer over USB to a computer is painfully slow.
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

gplracerx wrote:I think you're out of luck. The limit isn't Wi-Fi bandwidth, I'm pretty sure it's the processor on the GoPro. They put data cards in the camera for a reason. On my Hero1, transfer over USB to a computer is painfully slow.
I can deal with slow but on 3 separate attempts, I can't even complete the transfer. On the last try I even put the phone in airplane mode and turned only wifi but still no luck.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

How did you transfer the video? Using the GoPro app or using iCloud (LapTimer)?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Harry wrote:How did you transfer the video? Using the GoPro app or using iCloud (LapTimer)?

- Harry
Using GoPro app:

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Had no time so far to check this new file transfer but hoped it is something I can integrate into LapTimer later...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

You may be able to deal with slow, but obviously your Wifi connection can't. I would complain to GoPro customer service that their app should be more tolerant of dropped connections and be able to resume an interrupted download. That seems to be a problem with Bluetooth and GPS too.