Dual XGPS160

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by tulloch »

Bit of a mixed bag really. Enough to make me hold off a purchase for now. It seems you can't get at the data logging data yet. That is a poor show if true. The customer support looks suspect as well.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I have used the Dual XGPS160 successfully at two events now as well as on the road. I see both GPS and GLONAS satellites. The satellite count is much higher than any other GPS I've used including the VBOX Sport. As near as I can tell, the altitude from the XGPS160 is much more precise than from any other external GPS unit I have used (Emprum, VBOX Sport). I haven't had any problems locking on to the satellites. I haven't tried data logging, but that isn't a major problem as I use the device with HLT, which takes care of the logging.

Connection of any Bluetooth device to iOS 6.1.3 is problematic. The best thing to do is go to the Bluetooth page and forget all devices. Then kill all running apps (go to the home screen, double press home and then touch and hold on an app at the bottom of the page until they start rocking then touch the red x in the upper right corner of each icon). Then reboot. You should then be able to pair all your devices again. Note that the XGPS160 will not connect automatically. Once you have it on, go to the Bluetooth screen and touch the device name to connect.

I've still had problems with crashes or something that makes the update rate go to zero Hz for either the XGPS160 or BT1 or both. Killing and restarting HLT usually fixes the problem.

That doesn't mean that there aren't some defective units sold. My VBOX Sport, for example, is certainly defective even if Racelogic can't find out why.

Considering my problem with my VBOX Sport, I would strongly recommend the XGPS160 over the VBOX Sport for HLT. A responsive customer support system, which Racelogic has, doesn't always fix the problem.
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

Very informative, thanks for that. Regarding Bluetooth, I find any BT connection to be unreliable. No matter what you are connecting they will inexplicably drop the connection from time to time and usually only a re-boot of one or both devices gets it up and running again. Someone has to come up with something better.
Dr_Pippin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Dual XGPS160

Post by Dr_Pippin »

Does the XGPS only support Bluetooth, or is there a wired connection possible?
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

Yes, it's Bluetooth only for iPhones or other mobiles. The USB connector is just for charging. However, I'm not sure about when connected to a PC via USB as I've never connected my 150 to a PC.
Dr_Pippin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dr_Pippin »

tulloch wrote:Yes, it's Bluetooth only for iPhones or other mobiles. The USB connector is just for charging. However, I'm not sure about when connected to a PC via USB as I've never connected my 150 to a PC.
Thanks for the info.
Dual GPS
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Dual GPS »

Thanks to Harry for pointing me to this thread... (Full disclosure: my name is Greg Lukins and I oversee the GPS product line for Dual Electronics. I'm not here to advertise - just to help answer product questions.)
Connection of any Bluetooth device to iOS 6.1.3 is problematic. The best thing to do is go to the Bluetooth page and forget all devices. Then kill all running apps (go to the home screen, double press home and then touch and hold on an app at the bottom of the page until they start rocking then touch the red x in the upper right corner of each icon). Then reboot. You should then be able to pair all your devices again. Note that the XGPS160 will not connect automatically. Once you have it on, go to the Bluetooth screen and touch the device name to connect.
gplracerx's method for recovering from connection problems with Bluetooth under iOS 6.1.2/3/4 is a very good one. Based on all the feedback we've received from users, that method seems to work well for most people - although unfortunately it's not a cure for the problem. The problem should be fixed in iOS 7, and we've not see it reoccurring in the beta releases. Since iOS 7 is expected to come out this week, I guess we'll know for sure soon.

Regarding the XGPS160 itself, I can also assure you that Dual is fully supporting the product - despite a few comments floating around on the web. The free Status Tool app is, unfortunately, behind schedule. But like the Status Tool app for the XGPS150, it's completely optional and it's not necessary to have it installed. Since HLT alreadys records your route, you're also not missing out on features because the Status Tool app has been delayed. Nevertheless, I'll apologize for the app's delay.
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

One of the features that is attracting me to the 160 is the ability to record a route without using HLT. Sometimes that is all I want to do. Can you connect the 160 to a PC and download the recorded route or is it compulsory to have either an android or iOS device to access this feature? What format(s) can route be output in?
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

It looks like the USB port is only for charging. There doesn't appear to be a PC app for downloading data over a Bluetooth connection. I'll have to try when I get back home.
Dual GPS
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Dual GPS »

tulloch wrote:One of the features that is attracting me to the 160 is the ability to record a route without using HLT. Sometimes that is all I want to do. Can you connect the 160 to a PC and download the recorded route or is it compulsory to have either an android or iOS device to access this feature? What format(s) can route be output in?
You'll need an iOS device to download the recorded route data. The data is in a KML format.