How to transfer old laptimes to new iPhone?

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
alexbc
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

How to transfer old laptimes to new iPhone?

Post by alexbc »

I had Laptimer rookie on my old 4S, but then now got a new 4S to replace it with.

After I restored everything from iCloud (including laptimer), everything was reset to brand new install. I couldn't get any of my profile, tracks, cars, and most importantly laptimes loaded. The iClooud option is enabled, and I tried to define User as the same name to no avail (the define user abbreviation spin forever).

I even tried send to Friend option but the phone cannot find the other iPhone (both on same Wifi and Bluetooth enabled). I then uploaded to Dropbox, but there's no option to *import* it back to the new Phone.

Last, I upgraded to the Petrolheads version to see if I get any other option... again, no luck.

Can someone help me get this fixed? Also, how do I enable video with new Petrol heads? I never tried it before.

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to transfer old laptimes to new iPhone?

Post by Harry »

Usually LapTimer data is fully migrated when using the iTunes restore process. The process requires some time beyond the visual migration, app data is migrated in background step by step. This process however seems to have failed (it is an iOS thing, not app specific). To get your data transferred now, I'd suggest you export all laps to .hlptrl on your old phone (use the export option in the top left of Lap List and select "All" + ".hlptrl") and send it to any email account you can read on your new phone. Once it arrives, long-press the attachment and select LapTimer as the app to open it with. Please note this will transfer lap and vehicle data. You need to adjust your settings and load your track sets once this process has finished. Finally, raw videos sitting in LapTimer's Documents area are not transferred either. In case you have raw videos to transfer (overlaid videos are in the Photo app), you may transfer them to iPhoto or iCloud.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
alexbc
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by alexbc »

Thanks Harry. That totally worked. Not sure why iOS didn't transfer everything but now it's all good.

Just I get the app crash on me often. Is there something to make the app more stable.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I'm not aware off any crashes with the current version. Which iOS version do you use and what about free memory? Maybe you send me a contact note from within LapTimer to check your configuration. You may send me your crash logs too, please find a how-to in the Troubleshooting area in this forum (it is marked as a FAQ).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Nugget69
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Nugget69 »

I am having the same issue where the app data hasn't transferred.
I can't use the method above as the data is much too large to email. Is there another way?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

This is a quite dated thread and probably not up to date any more.
Please check the new FAQ on data backup, restore or transfer in general: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3341

In case this doesn't help, please let me know what exactly the problem is. Exports are compressed in case they are too large. Except videos, it should be possible to send everything by mail.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Nugget69
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Nugget69 »

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the reply, I managed to back up and email using the process in the thread linked.
But when I did the import on the new phone it came up with
ERROR
Import of file 'LapTimer-All-20160528-090448-1.hlptrz' failed. Data has not been added.
But it actually did import 342 out of my 482 saved laps.

Is there a way to troubleshoot further to try and import the lap data that was missed?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please send he .hlptrz file to me and I will check. As an alternative, you may unzip it (you need gunzip or a compatible tool) and check the 343rd lap for odd looking entries. Please search for "NaN" in addition.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Nugget69
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Nugget69 »

Email sent.