TBL Lapwise vs. HLT app

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
markchristenson
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

TBL Lapwise vs. HLT app

Post by markchristenson »

I bought HLT some time ago (I think in 2011 or maybe early 2012?), and only in the last month have I finally used it--wow, how cool!

Quick question regarding the theoretical best lap. I tried the Lapwise online data analysis and it shows a TBL of 1:48.6, but HLT within the app shows a TBL of 1:51.22. I can't figure out why there is a discrepancy. When I looked at the split times (in the raw data) and add the two fastest ones together I came up with 1:48.6. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mark
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TBL Lapwise vs. HLT app

Post by Harry »

Please check if you have any laps with missed splits. This will screw up the calculation. You can try to recalculate splits (if some are missing) by selecting Calculate - Splits in Lap Details

Harry
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Lapwise calculates the theoretical time based on the best single GPS fixes of all laps in the session, not just by adding the best split times like HLT does.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

bulls23 wrote:Lapwise calculates the theoretical time based on the best single GPS fixes of all laps in the session, not just by adding the best split times like HLT does.
Sounds interesting, will talk to them...

Nevertheless, Mark said: "When I looked at the split times (in the raw data) and add the two fastest ones together I came up with 1:48.6."

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
markchristenson
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

I looked at the data and there aren't any split times missing, however there are only two splits, and according to the track POIs there should be three splits. One of them is set to be right at a bridge--is it possible that somehow HLT is missing that split because of the bridge?

As for the way Lapwise calculates TBL vs. the virtual best on HLT, I think the time Lapwise came up with using their methodology and the time I calculated by taking the two best splits from the HLT data are exactly the same. While it is theoretically possible for that outcome given the two different methodologies, it doesn't seem probable, but who am I to know.

Mark
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Just export one lap to KML and open it in Google Earth. This is actually the best way to track missed triggers. In case all the laps have 2 splits recorded, LapTimer's virtual best calculation should work just fine. In case you want to further track this done, please select any of the laps in Lap List, scroll down to Results, and select "Lap Time". Now you will see a bar chart comparing all sector times (plus virtual best). Create a snapshot and post it here.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
markchristenson
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

I haven't been using Google Earth to analyze. When I look at a single lap there are green dots all around except at the point of the Start/Finish and the two intermediate splits. At each of those points there is a single grey dot. Not sure what that means?

As for the info from the app, is this what you asked me to take a picture of:
IMG_1663.jpg
IMG_1663.jpg (64.9 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Green dots mean "measured positions with good accuracy". Gray dots are the positions LapTimer calculates from the line driven and the triggers passed. These are interpolations and called "virtual positions" in LapTimer. Please note you can select / deselect details in Google Earth's left area. To check the areas around the triggers, turn off the acceleration information. It is important you can see the line driven (track), the blue bubbles displaying accuracy, and the triggers (POIs).

The bar chart is exactly what I meant. What you see is the following: red segments are the fastest sectors ever timed. So in you case the best sector 2 has been driven in your last lap (the one to the left of the transparent blue bar), the fastest sector 1 has been driven in the lap before, and the fastest sector 3 has been driven another 5 laps before. Summing this 3 fastest sectors up results in the "fastest virtual lap" - the transparent blue bar in the right. To see more details (e.g. more lap times), zoom in using two fingers. To see a legend, press the small 'i' in the bottom right.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
glynnsc
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by glynnsc »

bulls23 has it correct:
"Lapwise calculates the theoretical time based on the best single GPS fixes of all laps in the session".

We currently don't use any predetermined splits or any of the split information that LapTimer provides. In the near future Lapwise will be adding a 'Sector Analysis' Tool, where users can interactively control sector locations to compare sectors, get theoretical best time based on those sectors and get best rolling time. Laptimer sectors will likely be incorporated into this tool.

Regards,
Glynn
markchristenson
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Thanks for the continued help for this newbie!

On Google Earth I see the "Accuracy" section and it is checked, and the "Track" is checked, but I don't see anything changing on the map whether the Accuracy box is checked or unchecked (image attached).

As for the chart from HLT, I see that there are three segments. In the LapTimeDB.csv file, however, there are only times for INTERMEDIATE0 and INTERMEDIATE1 and it seems that there should be a third split time (for what it's worth, the two intermediate times add up to the total lap time).

Mark
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (202.24 KiB) Viewed 3775 times