Coping with intermittent GoPro Operation

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
karacticus
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Coping with intermittent GoPro Operation

Post by karacticus »

After my last track weekend, I've had issues with sometimes getting video recorded out of the GoPro (HD3 Silver) and sometimes not. I have no reason to suspect that there's an issue with HLT, but would like some help figuring out what HLT is telling me that the GoPro is doing.

I've generally been manually starting the recording as we leave the hot pits for the track. Been doing that so I can monitor that the recording has actually started, as once on the track, things get a little busy to tell if video recording kicked off at the strat/finish. When everything is working fine, I see the little GoPro icon in the video view, with the blue indicator flashing. Once I'm successfully recording, I see the red indicator blinking as well.

When I'm having trouble, the GoPro icon is periodically sliding in and out of view. This may happen prior to the starting recording or after. Am I just seeing an intermittent wifi connection? It also appears, though I have not been able to confirm it, that if this a loss of connection, it turns off recording mode. Who knows, maybe the entire camera is power cycling-- GoPro has plenty of quality control issues.

I'm running the iPhone (4S) in airplane mode with wifi turned on and bluetooth (GoPoint BT1) enabled, if that makes any difference. Keeps me from needing to answer calls while one the track.

Thanks for any help you may provide.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coping with intermittent GoPro Operation

Post by Harry »

When the GoPro slides out of the video preview, the connection has been lost or at least it did not answer LapTimer's status request. Once the connection is established again, LapTimer will take no special action - restart or whatever.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
karacticus
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by karacticus »

Thanks!

Looks like the working hypothesis at this point is an intermittent wifi connection. I'll see where that leads me.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Btw, even with a broken connection, the HERO should not stop recording...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image