Send trackday to friend

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Saturnalian
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Send trackday to friend

Post by Saturnalian »

Hi Harry,

Managed to log 18 laps on the bike last week and today tried to use "Send track day to friend" a couple of times to transfer the laps from my phone to the iPad with no success.

Connection is made and the data transfer commences. Each time it gets to around 400kb before it quits and the iPad says Error, transfer failed etc.
I have had no problem before sending individual laps.

Thoughts,

Jamie

I just exported it as an hlptrl file and opened it fine, seems like the easiest way to do it.

J.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Send trackday to friend

Post by Harry »

Yes, that's a valid fall back. I seems I need to check this for larger amounts of data. LapTimer uses a service from GameKit - an iOS function to let two devices communicate. As it is designed to transfer small junks of data fast, there might a problem for bigger packages...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
haupt2it
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by haupt2it »

Hey Harry,
I have a similar problem. Send Trackday to Friend on my iPhone5 to iPad Sending Lap#220k sent but iPad finally returns Error Transfer to LapTimer Trainer failed!
It does send some data, approx 10 laps. If I try to send again it sends - the iPad receives the same 10 laps, they are duplicated in the lap list on the iPad.

Please advise on how to export a hlptrl file and open it as the previous poster suggest.

Thanks,
Jeffrey
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

For larger amounts of data, use the export / import function using LapTimer's .hlptrl format:
  • Navigate to Lap List
  • Select the button in the top left
  • Select "Export Lap Data"
  • Select "LapTimer (.hlptrl)" and deselect all other formats
  • Select "All" in the top area
  • Make sure your see a reasonable number of laps selected
  • Press "Mail" to send the export to a mail account you can read on the iPad
  • Once it arrives, open the mail on your iPad
  • Long-press the attachment and select LapTimer Trainer to open it
  • LapTimer Trainer will import the full list of lap
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
haupt2it
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by haupt2it »

I tried the above, it returned - Confirmation File 'LapTimerxxx.hlptrz' ready for import - then Error Import of file 'LapTimerxxxxx.hlptrz' failed. Data was not added.

Please advise.

Jeffrey
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please send the export mail to me, I'll check.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for sending. Actually the problem is the same for the "Send Trackdata" and the "Import" scenario (both use the same underlaying routines). Please check the Lap List for a lap dated 12:18 PM on 29th Dec 2012. It has a strange lap time (17:04.94) and include some strange GPS positions. When imported / sent to LapTimer, this positions generate the error and make the import stop after the 10 laps. Please delete that lap and try again. It should work both using the "Send Trackdata" and the "Import" scenario afterwards.

Hope that helps.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
WilsonSteele
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by WilsonSteele »

Harry, great set of updates fro 17.4, laptiming on track is much improved.
I am still having issues with transfering over BT when i get back to the pits. I have petrol head on the ipod that stays in the car, and GP on the ipad for looking at data.
I can set up the transfer just fine over BT (there isn't wifi available at most tracks here), devices connect and transfer, i can watch the kb count up, but the ipod will exit as though its finished, and the ipad will say "transfer failed". However, i will receive 2 or 3 laps out of 15 from the session, and car data.
I am using a jailbroken ipod to get 10hz gps data from a QStarz xps10, so my laps tend to have 1000 or so fixes in them.
Export and import works without issue when i get home and i can email filesmto myself
SpecMiata #159 '94 1.8L
SoCal NASA, USA
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, that is a known problem. Transfer becomes unreliable for larger data junks. I'm not yet sure if I can improve the feature or replace it by something different...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image