Video cropped when using Hero3 as Master and iP4 as Cam #2

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
dasams
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Video cropped when using Hero3 as Master and iP4 as Cam #2

Post by dasams »

Harry:

Last week, I was on track with a Hero3 on the windshield and my iP4 mounted in the cabin. If I use the iP4 as the master, the pic in pic works fine with the Hero3 as cam #2. But if I switch them and then overlay, the aspect ratio is messed up and the video is stretched vertically and cropped horizontally. The Hero3 was recorded in 1080 mode. Should it have been in 720 or other resolution? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Dave
09 Carrera S - Black, 6 sp, Carrera red full leather with deviating black, adaptives, navi, XM, etc
06 Cayenne S - Crystal silver, air suspension, bi-xenon, navi, sirius, etc
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video cropped when using Hero3 as Master and iP4 as Cam

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The resolutions LapTimer is optimized for are:

640x480 (SD)
1280x720 (HD)
1920x1080 (FullHD)

In case a different aspect ratio is used, things may look stretched. Do you know the HERO's width you used?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dasams
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dasams »

Harry wrote:Do you know the HERO's width you used?
I was using the 1080 resolution of the Hero 3. I just did a new overlay using the windshield mount Hero3 as the master and the iP4 for in cabin. I uploaded it so that you can see the result.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGcjjFxEb-A[/youtube]

This process worked properly for me in the past so I'm not sure what I'm doing differently.

Thank, Dave
09 Carrera S - Black, 6 sp, Carrera red full leather with deviating black, adaptives, navi, XM, etc
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The youtube video comes at 360p only. Either the original has not been 1080p, or resolution got lost somewhere during transfer from the GoPro to the iPhone, or maybe simply from a low res youtube upload?

To understand the effect, we need to find out the "real" resolution of the overlaid video first. Would you please verify the overlaid video is 1080p before submitting it to youtube? Most desktop media players give you full information ob the video resolution (e.g. Quicktime Player - Media Information window), please check and let me know both height AND width you get reported.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dasams
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dasams »

Harry wrote:The youtube video comes at 360p only. To understand the effect, we need to find out the "real" resolution of the overlaid video first. Would you please verify the overlaid video is 1080p before submitting it to youtube?
Good eye Harry as the video is 640 x 360. I converted in iMovie and obviously picked the wrong parameters. I'll start over and should be able to get it right. Thanks for your assistance, Dave
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

O.k. fine, please use one of: 640x480 (SD), 1280x720 (HD), 1920x1080 (FullHD)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image