Worked fine before, then recorded nothing, retried, no video

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Spinnetti
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Worked fine before, then recorded nothing, retried, no video

Post by Spinnetti »

So, this is Gingerman raceway in Michigan/USA. On my 16gb iphone 4 last year it worked fine. This year, I spent $600 to get the 64gb iphone 5 just for this race, and in the first day, it recorded nothing (track and direction same as last year). I had put it in airplane mode, and thought maybe that messed it up, so on day 2, I put it in "normal" mode, reloaded the track and tried again. With the app running, I plugged in the power cable from the car, and it instantly crashed the phone. I rebooted and tried again. This time, I got 146laps or so, but zero video.... What do I do now? Seems that as we get more features, its getting harder to use, and I wasted almost $700 to capture my race and got nothing usable :(
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Worked fine before, then recorded nothing, retried, no v

Post by Harry »

Sorry to hear you are not happy.

Airplane mode turns off GPS, which in turn will not allow LapTimer to detect laps. In case your iPhone crashes when you plug in the power supply, there is something wrong with your setup, most probably not app related... On the missing video: had you started the Video View in LapTimer? As long as you do not open the Video View, LapTimer operates as a pure lap timer - recording lap times and data only.

All of the above items have not changed since the first video enabled LapTimer releases. Additional features certainly add complexity the the overall app. Standard operation on the other hand is simplified with every release - so additional complexity should not hit users not using new functions.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Spinnetti
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Spinnetti »

Harry wrote:Sorry to hear you are not happy.

Airplane mode turns off GPS, which in turn will not allow LapTimer to detect laps. In case your iPhone crashes when you plug in the power supply, there is something wrong with your setup, most probably not app related... On the missing video: had you started the Video View in LapTimer? As long as you do not open the Video View, LapTimer operates as a pure lap timer - recording lap times and data only.

All of the above items have not changed since the first video enabled LapTimer releases. Additional features certainly add complexity the the overall app. Standard operation on the other hand is simplified with every release - so additional complexity should not hit users not using new functions.

- Harry
Thanks for the reply. so, I did end up getting some video. We had 3 sessions, but it only picked up the first session. Shouldn't it auto restart when we go on track again? I don't have time to play with the phone during the pitstop, but thought it should restart on its own when it picks up the start finish again?

In the middle of the first session, the video stopped working, but it got all the lap data for the first session. Any ideas? I'm only using 640x480 mode and had lots of memory left. I have another race coming up next month, and really am hoping to get all my laps and video.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer should pick up automatically, yes. To verify everything is fine, please always have a look into the status bar shown in all the timer views. You should see a small animated radar symbol (indicating LapTimer is actively searching for triggers), green GPS accuracy bars, and a small satellite blinking each second. No idea (except the GPS stuff above) why video stopped as long as you had enough memory. Do you run the latest version btw?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Spinnetti
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Spinnetti »

Yep, I'm always on the latest version.. I did get error messages when the video stopped working, but accidentally dismissed them trying to get the phone out of the car. I got 1 of 4 sessions, and only 1/2 the video from the session that did work (148 laps), but still had like 35gig memory free. I downloaded the latest update and will try again early June.