iPhone5 to use for Kart Racing in Australia+Go Pro Footage??

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
shreddie
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

iPhone5 to use for Kart Racing in Australia+Go Pro Footage??

Post by shreddie »

Hi Everyone

I'm basically after some advice as to recommendations for accessories and information when it comes to using the Laptimer on a go-kart. I will be using an iPhone 5 and racing on smaller kart tracks in Australia.

I'm assuming I will have to manually 'map' the track - with the assistance of an external GPS detector - and this will allow me to gather lap times and g forces /speeds etc while racing?

I want to mount the iPhone 5 on my steering wheel - see this link

so as to be able to view the iPhone 5 laptimer interface while driving.

I also want to have a GO PRO mounted on my kart with which to take video footage to overlay with the GPS lap timing data.

I would love some advice and expertise on how to go about this.

Thanks in Advance
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: iPhone5 to use for Kart Racing in Australia+Go Pro Foota

Post by bulls23 »

You don't need any additional tools to make a track set. Simply use the maps view to create your own track sets. Here's the doc on that:
http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Tracks.html

If you want to measure g-forces, mounting the iPhone to the steering wheel won't work, the iPhone has to be statically fixed to the kart for that. Speed and timing will work and you still have the possibility in the app to re-calculate the g-forces through gps for the overlay.

I've done some logging on a kart myself (just rental kart, nothing fancy or fast). I mounted the iPhone to the helmet with an Optrix case and had a XGP150 attached to my wrist. Pretty bumpy track...but here it is:

http://youtu.be/vC-YHumLbtU

Here are my next plans:

I already have a VBOX Sport with 20hz and that should make a difference on small kart tracks and the data should be much smoother / accurate. Optrix now has a chest mount for their cases. I was thinking of gettimg one and mounting one iphone there and the other one on the back of my helmet...20hz, Multicam HLT logging on a kart...just for the fun of it :mrgreen:
shreddie
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by shreddie »

Hi Bulls

Thats great! :D

How did your lap times compare? Was it accurate compared to any other form of data logger you have used?

I am really into my data logging and would love to be able to download and analyse my laps on an iPad after each race.

The reason I want the iPhone on the wheel is so I can view my laptimes as I race. And the splits etc.

I would also wish to have a go pro mounted on my chest and possibly another go pro mounted somewhere else on the kart. Being able to view the lap in real time- and analyse splits and corners would be invaluable.

Thanks for your help.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

The karts had a transponder too...I had the time sheet and compared the laps with the official timing. If I remember right the difference was never more than a 10th of a second. Just keep in mind: who says the track timing is more accurate than HLT ;) During this summer I will surely be doing some more outdoor karting...will post videos when available :)
shreddie
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by shreddie »

Awesome that's great to hear.

I will also keep the forum updated with my progress as I begin my iPhone data logging for karting and motor racing.
kubilay38
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: iPhone5 to use for Kart Racing in Australia+Go Pro Footage??

Post by kubilay38 »

Hi from Istanbul,

I found this solution , its 3 USD in Turkey :)
Attachments
IMG_4173.JPG
IMG_4173.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 1751 times
IMG_4172.JPG
IMG_4172.JPG (1.14 MiB) Viewed 1751 times
IMG_4171.JPG
IMG_4171.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1751 times