first time user

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
xps911
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

first time user

Post by xps911 »

Hi,
doing my first track day next friday and looking forward to using the software have the petrolheads version:)
Is it as easy as just loading up software, using guide to select driver, car, and track, and then i press record when im about to drive out of pits? and when i finish do i just hit stop back at the pits?
how much space does the video take up? does it only do one lap at a time, or will it do whole session? thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: first time user

Post by Harry »

This is all you need for your first drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS09uYux ... e=youtu.be
Once it works, you may try the video option. It is similar to what is shown in the Quick Start: instead of using the Timer view shown in the video, press the Video button. You do not need to press any button while driving or leaving the pits. It is all automatic.

Memory requirements are available here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=459

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

It will record the whole session, although when you overlay the graphics onto the video, it does that on a single lap basis.
Generally best, to conserve memory, to datalog only in the morning whilst you learn the track, then video in the afternoon.
Are you going to Abingdon on the 12th by any chance?
I'll be there in the stickered MX5, as per my sig.
Pop over if you need any help.
h

PS. it may be an idea to set up a course around you house and try the system ahead of using it live on circuit. Saves wasting time and missed laps on the day.
There are threads around about setting a course up, see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1267
hth
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

xps911
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by xps911 »

hms, no unfort not doing that track. Good tip about data logging, will do that in the morning, I presume this data is then used as reference when doing video as well?
I'm using the tom tom car kit with my iphone 4. I've been reading on here about gps tweaks etc under advanced, is this needed on my setup?
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

TomTom should work OK without tweaks. (Not used tomtom so cannot say for sure.) The only tweaks that I have ever needed to do is the corridor detection width. If you have POI's that are close then you might get a mistrigger. Narrowing the detecton width should avoid this.
See: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Trigger_Logik.html
All of the laps logged will show as laps for that track, but obviously, only laps with video can be overlaid.
Where will you be?
Don't forget to post your vids afterwards
h
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No corridor tweaks any more please. LapTimer v17 uses a different mechanism and broadens the corridor to the max for all triggers having a direction set. So the number of situations one changes these Setting should be near zero.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

Noted harry.
H

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Reminds me I need to update the documentation on this one...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image