[FAQ] Preparing iOS and GoPro MultiCam Devices for Recording

Collection of all FAQs and HOW-TOs posted throughout the system. Read only.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

[FAQ] Preparing iOS and GoPro MultiCam Devices for Recording

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Every additional device integration added to LapTimer introduces potential pitfalls. This article outlines the conditions for successful MultiCam device connections - both iOS devices, and the experimental integration of GoPros:

In all situations, you need to have Harry's LapTimer Grand Prix Edition installed on your "Master" iPhone.

For iOS MultiCam devices:
  1. Install the free Harry's MultiCam app from AppStore to any iOS device you have available (named Satellite)
  2. Both devices - both Master and Satellite - need to have Bluetooth active: iOS ‣ Settings ‣ Bluetooth ‣ ON
  3. In LapTimer, make sure you have MultiCam operation enabled: LapTimer ‣ Settings ‣ MultiCam Control ‣ Discover MultiCams ‣ ON
  4. Start the MultiCam app on the Satellite device (no need to change a view here)
To test connection, switch to the Video View within LapTimer - you should see the gray little cam in the status bar turning white; in addition, you should see communication going on between Master and Satellite shown by small green and blue indicators; the MultiCam app will change to its Video View automatically - you are ready to record. You will see a small life stream view for the MultiCam device to check the field of view.

For GoPro HERO MultiCam devices:
  1. Make sure you have a compatible GoPro cam available: all HERO3 models and a HERO2 plus BacPac will work
  2. Make sure you have the latest firmware for your HERO installed (especially HERO3s need an initial update of firmware); check GoPro's home page for details
  3. Make sure you have set the correct Wi-Fi mode for the HERO: Wireless Controls ‣ GoPro APP; once this is set, you can turn off your GoPro again
  4. Turn on wifi operation for the GoPro (HERO3: small button to the right, blue LED blinks)
  5. Connect your iPhone to the GoPro Wi-Fi (you have set Wi-Fi SSID and password during GoPro setup); this is done in your iPhone's Settings app: iOS ‣ Settings ‣ Wi-Fi
  6. In LapTimer, make sure you have MultiCam operation enabled: LapTimer ‣ Settings ‣ MultiCam Control ‣ Discover MultiCams ‣ ON
  7. In addition, enter your GoPro Wi-Fi password in MultiCam Control ‣ GoPro Wifi Password; this is necessary as every command sent to the HERO requires this password - no good practice from my point of view
To test connection, switch to the Video View within LapTimer - you should see the gray little cam in the status bar turning white; in addition, you should see communication going on between Master and Satellite shown by small green and blue indicators; the HERO will beep and turn the cam on - you are ready to record. Please note that instead of getting a live view, the HERO will be shown as a placeholder with blinking LEDs.

In case it does not work, please try the GoPro app available for free on the net. It uses the same mechanism.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Blodstrupmoen
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

HLT does not start Gopro

Post by Blodstrupmoen »

When i start HLT i can see the gopro symbol with a blinking blue led on the video screen in HLT, but the camera does not start filming when press start. It is no problem when i use the gopro app.

I use a iPhone 5 with HLT 17 and a Gopro Hero3 black edition.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [FAQ] Preparing iOS and GoPro MultiCam Devices for Recor

Post by Harry »

I have moved your question to this existing FAQ. I assume you have not set the GoPro Password correctly. For the named reason, this password is required for any app controlling the GoPros.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Blodstrupmoen
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Blodstrupmoen »

Thank you Harry. Just updated HLT with the corect password for Gopro, and everything is ok.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Good to hear, thanks for reporting.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
BMWLTW
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by BMWLTW »

Thought I would share my experience trying to get the goPro Hero2 working.
The Hero2 with backpack would be set to "Phone/Tablet" the equivalent to HERO: Wireless Controls ‣ GoPro APP

I had the system working in 17.0.3 with the default password. Later, I updated to 17.0.4. and changed the password of the wireless backpack. I didn't really do both at once but didn't remember the order exactly. Anyway, I couldn't get the GoPro to work. I'd see the graphic on the screen and even the green and blue lights on harry's lap timer. However, it stopped controlling the goPro.
I changed the password from "#39xxxxx" to a password without any special characters, i.e. "#" and it works again.
Maybe special characters aren't allowed in the GoPro API.
Another thing to keep in mind is to have your iOS device join the backpacks SSID (network). While testing at home, when you turn off the backpack, the iOS device would rejoin my home network and of course, not control the goPro.

Thanks Harry for this killer app.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for sharing. I think the password problem (special characters) can be solved by properly escaping special characters - I have added this to my list for the next bugfix release. Currently, any character not allowed to be part of an URL will fail to connect. Examples are spaces, &, #, etc.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
nblumberg
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by nblumberg »

I've connected everything and when I manually press record on the video screen, it'll start the gopro, and will record video and lap times. When I pass start/go to automatically trigger recording in video mode, the app records video and lap times, but the gopro does not get triggered. Am I missing something in the setup?

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

As long as the GoPro is not recording already, it should get started... Is that reproducible behavior?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
stasmagic
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by stasmagic »

Doed video captured by GoPro allows data overlay via iphone app?