Support for PLX iMFD sensor modules

Request and discussion on new / to change features
zzkamikazezz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Support for PLX iMFD sensor modules

Post by zzkamikazezz »

Hi

Is there any way you could add support for these please?!

http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSST2IMFD

I see a few other apps managed to get it working, but at the track I'd like to use just one app. They do a variety of sensors that can be linked in to the Kiwi wifi dongle with the iMFD adapter, allowing for a whole host more to be monitored.

Cheers

Rob
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Support for PLX iMFD sensor modules

Post by Harry »

LapTimer certainly works with the Kiwi2. As long as additional sensors are feed into standardized (and supported) PIDs, LapTimer will see them too. Here is the list of PIDs read by LapTimer:

0x01, 0x01, "DTCCNT"
0x09, 0x02, "VIN"
0x01, 0x1c, "OBDSUP"
0x01, 0x2f, "FUELLVL"
0x01, 0x05, "ECT"
0x01, 0x5c, "EOT"
0x01, 0x06, "STFT1"
0x01, 0x10, "MAF"
0x01, 0x0c, "RPM"
0x01, 0x11, "TPS"
0x01, 0x0b, "MAP"
0x01, 0x0d, "VSS"

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
zzkamikazezz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by zzkamikazezz »

Hi Harry, these iMFD sensors allow you to monitor much more, such as boost, exhaust gas temps, oil pressure and air fuel ratio (this is the one I have at the minute and was hoping to monitor)

http://www.plxdevices.com/product_cat.php?id=SEMO

You then buy this plugin to the kiwi2 to connect them:
http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSST2IMFD
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

There are several standardized PIDs LapTimer does not read out to keep update rates at a high level. That's the reason I wrote "As long as additional sensors are feed into standardized (and supported) PIDs, LapTimer will see them too." The above PIDs are those currently supported.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
zzkamikazezz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by zzkamikazezz »

Yep, I understood your reply, I was just hoping that these extra ones could be added in a future release but it sounds like they might bring down the refresh rate.. There is a lot of useful extra data that would be handy to log during track sessions with the use of these iMFD sensors.
zzkamikazezz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by zzkamikazezz »

Hi Harry, me again. Thinking about this will these iMFD sensors effect the refresh rate?

They are standalone sensors that plug in via the iMFD piggy back unit to the PLX wifi device, to just use the wifi, so they don't come from the cars ECU.

My car is heavily modifed with a supercharger added and other modifications like an external oil cooler. On the road I am going to be able to use Rev or Dash Command to monitor the engine. But on track days, when the car is used at its hardest, monitoring these extra parameters such as AF, oil temp and pressure become more important and it would be great to have one app that can do this all whilst still logging track times.

I tried physical gauges made by PLX but they interfered with the cars electrics so they had to be removed, so I am taking the app approach to monitor these.

I'm looking out for the new v17 every day, as soon as it comes out I will be buying :D
Last edited by zzkamikazezz on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I assume this will not affect update rates in HLT too much. The main impact comes from the number of PIDs requested (as they come in sequentially) and all kinds of latencies during transfer (BT or other). Although the iMFD delivered value will show a different timing compared to the CAN bus + ECU, it will be one (or a small number of) value out of many. Probably a question you should carry to PLX's forum?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
zzkamikazezz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by zzkamikazezz »

Harry, you lost me on the last part there :lol: Perhaps this could be considered as some sort of experimental feature to try out in a future release :mrgreen:
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

We do not want to lose anyone ;)

Assume you request 6 PIDs from the Kiwi actually provided by the ECU. Each of this 6 PIDs requires 50ms to be answered (from request by LapTimer to reply from Kiwi) making 6*50ms = 300ms for a full set of PIDs. 300ms for a full set means 3.3Hz update rate (1s = 1000ms/300ms = 3.33333 Hz). Now the same scenario including one iMFD sensor with a timing of say 75ms making 5*50ms+75ms = 325ms = 3.1Hz update rate. Same with 25ms response time for the iMFD: 5*50ms+25ms = 275ms = 3.6Hz update rate.

So for a configuration delivering 3.3 Hz using the Kiwi without iMFD, replacing one iMFD with unknown timing behavior gives a variance in update rate of +- 0.2 to 0.3 Hz. You can do the math for addition additional PIDS too - resulting in reduced update rates in any case.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
zzkamikazezz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by zzkamikazezz »

I see what you are saying. Its all about keeping the refresh rates fast enough. I wouldn't necessarily use 6 ecu inputs. I think you get the idea of the feature request, it would be great to have the option to include some of the iMFD sensors. If updates became slow you could always drop some inputs if you could choose them yourself, or if the app noticed the refresh rate was dropping it could suggest you drop some inputs with just a pop up.

Rev and dash command seem to have it working so it must be do-able along with obd, swapping apps on track days is going to be a pain. Ill leave it with you to consider...

Rob