Those of you looking for a cheap Wifi OBD reader..

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
spets
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Those of you looking for a cheap Wifi OBD reader..

Post by spets »

This one is for sale on Ebay for $85. I purchased one, it arrived to me about 15 days later. It sucessfully connected with Harry's Laptimer and I am getting an update rate of 1.6,1.7 Hz.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wifi-WLA ... 43a5911592

I did a little test drive, it is awesome having RPM, % throttle, and gear. I set my green zone to the VTEC engagement on my Honda S2000. All I need now is a better camera mount for less shaking.

Here is a quick test video I took. I will visit the track at the end of the month!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTUF9qdn84
jruben4
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Those of you looking for a cheap Wifi OBD reader..

Post by jruben4 »

Does this work as well as the PLX Kiwi wifi? It passes all the same information?
spets
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by spets »

Yeah, it seems to work just as well. I don't know what kind of update rate the PLX one has, and maybe that is something that is car-dependent. I also got the FuzzyCar app for my iphone and it picks up all of the data. Fuel trims, coolant temp, intake temp, engine load, throttle position, rpm, manifold pressure, open/closed loop, o2 sensor voltages, etc. From what I can tell the OBD scanner is fully functional.

Just be aware that it ships from Singapore so it might take ~15 days to get there.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

As far as I know, the update rate depends mainly on the car's bus and not on the wifi interface. Newer cars usually have higher rates than older ones, simply because the processing power of the cars' electronics is getting higher year by year.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

bulls23 wrote:As far as I know, the update rate depends mainly on the car's bus and not on the wifi interface. Newer cars usually have higher rates than older ones, simply because the processing power of the cars' electronics is getting higher year by year.
Yes, exactly. The OBD dongle adds some extra burden (e. g. WLAN will not be as fast as a cable based device), but in general, the car's bus speed is the dominant component.

@speds, did you connect the device using custom OBD settings in LapTimer? Or did it connect to LapTimer without configuration (except the WLAN connect, that needs to be done anyway) and shows up as KiwiWifi in the Sensor List?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
spets
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by spets »

Harry,

the device pretends it is the Kiwi Wifi. the address is 169.168.0.10, port 35000.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This is what I expected, the devices look pretty similar. Seems to be an un-branded version.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
random1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by random1 »

My friend also purchased this unbranded device. The only functional difference we can find is that the PLX Kiwi has an on/off switch.

I have my PLX discretely installed in the car and use the on/off switch so it's not turned on all the time, especially in the summer heat. Otherwise you have to pull the OBDII connector.
Rob Rockefeller
2003 Honda S2000
SCCA Solo - STR
doborder
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by doborder »

I also bought this product. While I can get it to connect, there's no info going to laptimer. It states it is connect in the setting menu, but the update rate is zero. Any help would be appreciated
I did do the firmware update and connected it to IP: 192.168.0.11
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0. Also, I will add that my ECU has been modified using an Cobb Accessport. I have a 2010 Nissan GTR
doborder
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by doborder »

Very Strange. I just went out and connected the kiwi wifi again and now it works give me an update rate of 3.5hz